VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit of a chin wag this morning on the way into work and got onto the topic of horses and cyclists and the whole road tax argument. This then lead on to insurance and how road users are covered. What we couldn't agree on was what rules cover horses being on the road? How would you claim if a horse hit you? How does it work?

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
I dont think a Horse would hit you, would be the other way round wouldnt it? :* Plus if you hit a horse in your car it would probably die or end up being put to sleep so it makes no real difference, same if you hit a dog or a cat.. You may even end up paying for the horse or medical bills then you really would be skint.
To sum up im fairly sure if you hit a horse or any animal then you would be the one in the wrong no matter what.. Sad but true

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats mad, so you can be on the road with a 300kg animal and the law won't touch you?

Might have to trade the communting box in for a pony and start green laning it into work

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I would think most people with horses would have to legally have insurance.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My cousin years ago got hit by a horse, driving along minding his own business next thing horse clears a dry stone wall to his left and he hits it full on, pretty much writes the car off horse is bowled down the road, gets up shakes its head runs off clearing the wall to the right into another field, the police were called and he had witnesses to say what happened totally not his fault at all, insurance company chased the owner for payment, reasoning the horse was not contained properly, they eventually got the money after a long time, this was about 15 years ago so I don't know where you would stand today.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
tried looking it up on the net and couldnt find out if it was a legal requirement, Tip for today is avoid all horses in future just in case

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
My daughters have horses( I prefer donkeys) and my partner did also, both are insured and any reasonable owner should do the same, I'm afraid that when they're out on a hack, it's inconsiderate, and ignorant motorists that cause the problems, It's my understanding that horses are basically prey animals so are very highly strung and even so much as a plastic bag blowing across the road can spook them. So remember driving calmly and with consideration will make sure you never have an accident involving a horse, which quite possibly could have someone's daughter in the saddle. Also I think horses are allowed anywhere on the queens highway and the fact we drive on the left hand side of the road can also be traced back to being on a horse.T:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not sure that argument washes with me lachlan13. If I'm driving my car or riding a bike I'm solely responsible for my actions. And a horse owner should be as well. Therfore if the horse is skittish, and lets face it most of them are, they shouldn't be on the road.

And no, I have never ridden a horse so I can't talk from experience. However, I commute through the Cotswolds every day so there's plenty of them around....and most of them seem to be ridden by teenage girls who have no control of them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't see much fun in riding a horse on the road when there's plenty of beaches and bridal paths and open fields which they could be taken into instead for better exercise that way there's no arguments simple

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
i would say it depends on the situation,most horses are kept in a rural or semi rural location,however the rider may need to use a road to get to the woods or beach etc,if you are bobbing along a b road at 50 mph and round a corner-the last thing you expect is to see a horse walking at 4 mph-so in that situation it would be the driver thats to blame as he should be prepared for the unseen :*, i know friends who have horses that are insured but i thought it was just vet insurance ? i would need to ask,as i say it depends on the situation

pets or hobbies are one of the few things left that arent taxed by this goverment-lets leave it that way

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
If you've spent money on a horse, chances are you have insurance of some kind on it, tho maybe not specifically for the road - after all you've spent alot of money on it. Any claim regarding an incident on the road would be covered under a public liability clause that such a policy would probably have.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Do horse owners pick up the mess they sometimes leave behind on the road like dog owners have to

·
Registered
360 Posts
It completley depends on the situation but say the driver does nothing wrong and the horse hits you it IS the owner and riders fault and you can make a claim from them for damage to your car/van it should come under the riders public liabilty/insurance.

If you are driving without due care and attention and you spook the horse it is your fault, but if the rider is not wearing a high vis jacket you have an arguement for not seeing them! I:

If a rider is leading another horse from the horse they are riding then if the horse that is being lead is in a headcollar that rider is not covered by there insurance but if the lead horse is in a Bridle they are covered but there insurance! because if a lead horse is in a bridle the rider has more control over it than if it is in a headcollar! not many people know that! and need to be aware!
I have been a groom for 9 yrs now and have met some real idiots driving on the road(so if my horse would of hit there car they asked for it) but have also seen some idiot riders that shouldn't be on the road with horse!

Most cyclists have always shouted that they are behind you so not to spook the horse so i am always really grateful to them
At the end of the day as long as we respect all roads users be they on a horse, bike, or car there shouldn't be a problem but unfortunatley that not always the case
Tanya

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
So Lachlan would prefer we go back to the time when cars and other motor vehicles had to be dismantled and hidden in the hedgerow to allow horses to pass ! ! ! 'Squse me but where's my red flag.

What get's my goat is the condiscending way these nag bashers wave to you as you go by or you are stuck behind some old phart that passes the nags with his speed so low it doesn't register on the dash.

I should like to see a disk stuck on the horses 'arris with details of insurance. Now it is 'nearly' common practise for dog walkers to clear up after their muts, when are these people going to carry a sack, dustpan and brush and clean up after themselves? Horses should be left in the field as a provider of rose fertiliser, glue and cat food. Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
thing is with horse dung its organic in the fact that they are herbivores where as dogs are carnivores and thats where the problem is with dog poo, same with ours too!!

as far as im aware there no legal obligation for horses to be insured unless they are being used for 'gain' i.e. riding schools.

most horse riders have liability insurance tho due to the crazy world we live in were someone wants to sue you coz ya useing there oxygen. numpties.

Why havent all dog onwers got liability insurance for when they walk there dogs on the road?? also prams, they should have insurance too as the amount of time they knock into cars too. you can go on for ever and a day really!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
and another thing, the horse has done alot more for this county than any car or van when they were used for dragging massive field guns around and many things like that.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts