VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very recently purchased a 1999 LWB 2,5tdi T4 van 1200, after say about 10 miles my nearside front wheel feels fairly warm near the hub, thats not right, on journeys say of 20 miles, thats a different story..........
Took the van out for a longer run today,about 25 miles, but noticed after say 20 miles the van would slow and seem to of lost power, at this point i felt all 4 wheels, all were hotter than i'd expect especially the front nearside wheel, which was way to hot.
When i got the van a few weeks ago, i took the front wheels off, as i thought the caliper sliders had seized, so these were removed and copper slipped up, checked caliper pistons was returning, by clamping piston with a G clamp, they both returnded back into the caliper, without any effort turning clamp handle with one finger.

Can anyone please advise me what my next plan of attack should be?

In order of time requred to do the job and rough cost of parts etc, read to many stories on the this site where people have purchased an expensive part only to find that it is not that part broken etc.

Any advice/help more than welcome?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Ferret Handler
160 Posts
Try changing front flexi, cheapest option, as sometimes these can act like a non return valve, if the lining inside the flexi becomes worn/damaged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, just a bit more info for you.
Van has covered 118k is a standard T4 1999 LWB 2.5TDI 1200, i have fitted new front wheel bearings (front wheels were getting hot prior to change) these were changed whilst i had the hubs off changing split cv boots.
I have read about the flexi pipes, but with all wheels running hot especially front nearside, thought it would not be a single flexi causing the problem on them all.
Things that have come to mind, as i'm thinking it must be common to all 4 brakes (correct me if i'm talking rubbish) return spring on pedal weak, then the expensive things like servo or master cylinder.
Brakes stop the van fine, except for running hot, front wheels get hotter than the back.
Can you get seal kits for the master cylinders on these T4s or is this not cost effective?
Where is the best place to buy any of the above, especially the expensive parts mentioned, although this is what i am trying to avoid, buying expensive parts that i dont need i mean.
Hope the above will help someone give me a bit more help/advice.
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you are getting the problem on all four wheels, it would point towards a master cylinder problem (in my mind anyway).

First thing i would do is check out the brake servo vac hose to make sure there is nothing silly going on there.

Next, if you are sure that the sliders on the calipers are working fine, i would look to changing the master cylinder. They should only set you back around £40. It is a lot of money for a part if it turns out it is not at fault, but its pretty cheap if it is the fault. Rebuilding master cylinders (and second hand units) is almost never economical. Im sure you could get a seal kit, but i personally have never seen one and i wouldn't waste my time when a new unit is relatively cheap.

The likelihood of a brake servo fault causing this problem is low, it would be more likely to cause your brake pedal to be heavy and the brakes less effective if it was failing. You can also check the functionality of it by pumping the break pedal until it is hard and then starting the engine. If the pedal sinks (with your foot on it) the servo is doing its job.

I forgot to ask if your van has ABS? ABS could easily cause this problem and is ricky to diagnose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply, van is not ABS.
You state about £40 for a new master cylinder, is that from VW?

Another update, i'm getting there, i think.
Carried out a make shift modification this morning, then completed a 50 mile round trip, and returning to find all 4 wheels cold, i must of done something right.
What i did was place a bungie cord around the brake pedal and secured the two hooks up at the dash, thus holding the pedal at its uppermost position.
So now it either points to a master cylinder fault (as in sticking a bit) or the brake pedal return spring a bit weak.
Van has covered 118k miles but as this van has lived on a small Island all its life, a lot more use of the clutch and brake pedal than a van used to bomb up and down motorways etc.

Has anyone ever replaced the brake pedal return spring?
if so, can it be done in situ by removing the retaining clip on the end of the pivot rod at the clutch pedal end, then slide the rod towards the left, thus releasing the brake pedal/spring etc?

At present i can push the hooked end of the spring that is around the brake lever back with my thumb, would not say easily, but i can compress it back easier than i thought i would be able to.

I'm leaning towards the spring being weak, as you know where the pin goes through the fork in the end of the mastercylinder piston and brake lever, well this pin is slightly loose in the brake lever hole (not due to excessive wear) the return spring cannot take out that small amount of play, all parts are free and lubricated.
Not the easiest thing to explain, so hopefully you can understand what i'm trying to state.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
£40 is a round about price from aftermarket suppliers (GSF, Just Kampers, Ebay etc...), just have a phone around before you buy. Im not sure on VW prices.

Cant help you with the return spring. But the pedal assy is pretty easy access, cant see it being too hard to do in situ, i say give it a go. At least you have a temp solution with the bungees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts