VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread was started because of MINDRIOT response in another thread about words people use.

HOT WORDS ! How much value do they add

* Show
* Rare
* Limited
* Helios Blue
* Surf
* Modified
* When you tell us how many windows you have ?
* Oak Green - is my favourite automatic 10k increase arghh ha ha LOL:

Any opinions on the added value any of these words bring ? i.e how much is rare worth ?

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Unfortunately it can be any amount that people will pay. When I was looking tor the T5 I saw 2 vans on the same dealer forecourt. One was a year newer and less mileage than the one parked next to it. Both had same spec and same engines. The one that was a 13 plate with 55k on the clock was £2k less expensive than the 63 plate with 45k on the clock. Both were almost immaculate and both had full service history. I asked the salesman how they could justify the difference in price. The reply..... One is metallic blue and the other is white. The blue gets 'scene tax added value' and is actually in glass' guide? So on a 2/3 year vehicle I can tell you the colour is worth around £2500!

Prime (modern) colours are the metallic purples (blackberry?), browns and blues followed by black and reds and then your base blue and whites.

As for 'show', 'limited' and 'rare', well I 'show' my van to my neighbours everytime I park in front of their houses, I've learnt their patience is 'limited' when I'm grinding something at 9am on a sunday and smiles are 'rare' when I've woken them up. So mine must be worth a friggin fortune.... especially as its metallic blue LOL:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
This thread was started because of MINDRIOT response in another thread about words people use.

HOT WORDS ! How much value do they add

* Show
* Rare
* Limited
* Helios Blue
* Surf
* Modified
* When you tell us how many windows you have ?
* Oak Green - is my favourite automatic 10k increase arghh ha ha LOL:

Any opinions on the added value any of these words bring ? i.e how much is rare worth ?
is a good one, if something is rare then either...

1, it's lightly cooked.

2, it was shite (so nobody bought it)

3, it was shite AND expensive (so nobody bought it)

4, it was as useful as a truckload of dead rats in a tampon factory (so nobody bought it)

5, it was for a niche market :* example being the sub-machinegun Holster / doorcard that vw designed & made for German police B3 Passats, something the Scene-monkeys love but serves no useful purpose I:

6, it was shite & broke easily so was replaced with something more 'fit-for-purpose', years ago the customer would find their car needing repairs (at their cost?) but modern days that's fallen on manufacturers - as example see North American vw's with the 'buy-back & the software 'fix' (with compensation to owners, something we won't get here in the uk I: )

Right, I'm bored of typing & trying to navigate an iPhones quirky screen foibles so I'll end here LOL:

Rich.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I had a show winning TR7 once, a nearly original convertible (even purists dont miss grey tartan and blue vinly interiors!), it wasnt worth the 4 year restoration, the cost and it never paid us back. Tbh nothing repays the pain and frustration of trying to put right a british leyland era car that was never built right in the first place. Thats how you tell a show car from that era, all the flaws like wonky panel gaps are gone!

I made a comment about the silliness of boggo ordinary vehicles being turned into novelies by fanatical owners not deserving such distinction. To me, "show" distinguishes rare, iconic, transformational, historical or the truly exotic in the motorworld, not a pug or an audi with 4 gullwing doors, too much carbon (ie any carbon C'wrap) and a 2 ton filler and fibreglass bodykit and interior. LOL:

Nor does the show mantle belong to a million sellers of tarted up VAG, not even over embellished Transporters. :)

Ill see if i can think of some gems. When i look at an ad big turnoffs apart from hackneyed motoring phrases are text speak, and especially awful spelling. You want us to believe its a built (by you) not bought but its got a new altairnetorr??

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I had a show winning TR7 once, a nearly original convertible (even purists dont miss grey tartan and blue vinly interiors!), it wasnt worth the 4 year restoration, the cost and it never paid us back. Tbh nothing repays the pain and frustration of trying to put right a british leyland era car that was never built right in the first place. Thats how you tell a show car from that era, all the flaws like wonky panel gaps are gone!

I made a comment about the silliness of boggo ordinary vehicles being turned into novelies by fanatical owners not deserving such distinction. To me, "show" distinguishes rare, iconic, transformational, historical or the truly exotic in the motorworld, not a pug or an audi with 4 gullwing doors, too much carbon (ie any carbon C'wrap) and a 2 ton filler and fibreglass bodykit and interior. LOL:

Nor does the show mantle belong to a million sellers of tarted up VAG, not even over embellished Transporters. :)

Ill see if i can think of some gems. When i look at an ad big turnoffs apart from hackneyed motoring phrases are text speak, and especially awful spelling. You want us to believe its a built (by you) not bought but its got a new altairnetorr??
Forgot about
Buil not Bought
LOL:

A:

Rich.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Some being attached to T4 ads right now, that make me laugh are:

'Future Classic'

'Can only increase in value'

LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
Another 'trade type' term that has no real meaning (even after seeing it for over 48 years in the motor industry), is the good old chestnut:

'Fully Loaded'

Almost as meaningless in many instances as 'Full Service History'

A:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Another 'trade type' term that has no real meaning (even after seeing it for over 48 years in the motor industry), is the good old chestnut:

'Fully Loaded'

Almost as meaningless in many instances as 'Full Service History'

A:
A phrase possibly solely having relevance to tired old springs LOL:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Frankly, an ad should be impartial, and factual. Not a demonstration of less is more and up-speak.

Any advert that appears to be trying to tell me what i should be thinking makes me instantly and highly suspicious.

Im the one parting with money, im the one who decides what to think.

Also, traders who seem instantly rude or dismissive i despise. Answers like its not a new car, or you should probably go buy a new car are gems come to mind after simple questions about say paintwork or body condition. Remember when you make inquiries of a vehicle yore sizing up the seller too!

And finally the old chestnut. No Timewasters! So, if i waste MY time, money and effort, come to see it, and its a complete Lemon, im at fault for wasting my money?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Some being attached to T4 ads right now, that make me laugh are:

'Future Classic'

'Can only increase in value'

LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
There are no more future classics, not for the likes of plebeians, the industry makes too many of anything, and too well, the traditional defenition of a classic is dead.

If you want to buy a future classic in todays terms youll need to sell your house first, and then after youve used that to pay the deposit youll need to worry about how to fund the remainder of the price! Those elite vehicles are now well and truly commodities, bought, held and traded for the same purpose and prices as elite artwork.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My favorates are

original condition (same oil and filters from new 10yrs ago)
Unmolested t5 (cup holder held together with gaffer tape, internal door grab/handle held together with gaffer tape)
Patina (rust and faded paint)
Rat look (rust and faded paint with holes)

"It's only the discription that matters)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts