VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hows it going? I've been looking round this forum and its an incredible resource for T4 prospective buyers and owners, so far been great help.

I'm looking at getting a 2.5 T4 and have a budget of max 5k for a van and planning on doing the work as I go and have seen the 888 "special" 03 2.5 that's quite local to me for sale. It's completely standard but not all that special except for the captains chairs (no EW, CL, AC etc). Anyway its done 109k and drives very nicely. Only a small dent on one side that hopefully will push out once I take the knackered ply lining off. I like that it is a "blank canvas" so can modify it to my needs but it's priced at £5250!

What do you think? I know they are pretty sought after which is why the price is higher. Be v grateful of your opinions.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
seems like a clean van but i thinks you could get one cheaper, and have a few quid for those important mods ! :D let the mods begin I:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Seems pricey.

I bought my factory silver 2.5TDI 102 BHP 2 years ago for £4600 with 102,000 miles its a 2002 = a year younger than this at time of purchase for a more powerful van with electric windows.

Ian. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah I think you've confirmed my suspicions. The guy didn't really know how to price it but his garage that did the MOT told him not to take less than 5k so may be tricky to get him down on price but will have to give it a go!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Likewise here, looks clean enough but 5250 is at least a grand over priced I'd say. But it is the right colour. :ILU:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Saw one the same as this go for 4k on ebay mate. Bit pricey for a bog standard van:ILU:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
At that money I'd want a few less miles ideally, but, it does look very clean and original. The problem we are facing right now, is that the tidy ones are becoming less easy to find, as are the lower milers.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I just bought a very similar one, with electric mirrors, cruise control, central locking, for about £500 less but I feel I got a good price.....so it's maybe a little expensive but not thousands of quid away. It feels like £4k-£4.5k is the right price for that one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your valuable comments. Been back to have another look and still keen but seems like 4750 is as low as he will go. It does seem a lot when there is a lot of work to be done...but still tempted! I'm not in any big rush so probably should be patient and hold out...hmmm.

On another point, are there any guides on how to board out the van on the net that you know of?

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Keep holding out that van is much too expensive. I got my 2002 888 special with 44k on the clock with full vw service history and no work to be done, plus genuine vw rear seats and side windows for 4.4k no VAT so I think a better deal can be had elsewhere,
he might get the hint if none is daft enough to buy it, in which case wait a while and make a low offer :cool:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, think I've bought it. We've agreed a price and it seems more like it's true value so fingers crossed, all will be ok, it will be a solid van with no problems and should pick up Tuesday/Wednesday next week!!

Thanks for your help and advice. Now best go make myself a registered member!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts