VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive not bought them yet, but i would perhaps like to get a roof tent at some stage so they also need to be strong enught for 2 adults and the box. I dont have a clueas to how they fit to the roof though, any ideas or suggestions?
ta
:ILU:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
on the top of my t5 there are a number of captive nuts built into the rain gutter. these are fitted with plastic bolts which keep the rain out. when you want to attach something, you take out the plastic bolt and then bolt on whatever it is you are fitting. make sure you use a rubber washer or something to keep the rain out.

the fixings are very strong. i had a pair of roof bars on and they were super solid with just one bolt each side.

some t5s have 'roof prep' which puts a proprietary fixing method onto the roof. no experience so can't comment further.

·
Registered
449 Posts
genuine or aftermarket?
genuine ones fit either to the roof bolt holes(come with all the bolts rubber seal/pad and transparent film to protect paintwork)or can be fitted to vw prep roof rail-cost about £90 and you slide the bars to where required
perfect for roofbox and will carry max load 100kg
i fitted mine and can grab the bars and rock the van,so solid and secure
These are no good on a poptop
Aftermarket i.e. audi style you will need to purchase crossbars also,no experience of these.have heard of water leaks though and
can be fitted on a poptop
Plenty of info on forum about these just google search with t5 forum at end as the forum search isnt the best

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roof tent and roof bars for t5

thanks for info so far, very useful, another Q.
I want to put a roof tent on the t5. All the bars I have seen are only rated at 85 kg (presumably per pair)
does this mean I have to put 4 roof bars on for a 2 man roof tent? And if so, are there fittings for 4 bars on a t5?

·
Registered
449 Posts
there are four holes on either side on a swb t5 more i think on a lwb roof which can be used for roof-bars
genuine vw roof-bars will take 100kg per pair
if you wish to put a two man tent on roof then you are looking at maybe a commercial/business roof-rack
the link below shows a roof-rack that states 55kg per bar and has seven to eight bars spreading the weight evenly,is this something you might be interested in as would give you a platform to work with and something to secure tent to when up
sounds a interesting project:)

http://www.vanroofbars.co.uk/vanroo...lery-Van-Roof-Rack-VGMR-02-SDD-STG-20831.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
Indeed this would be an ideal soloution.
Just fitted similar to my t5, lwb.
takes a18mm- 8ft X 4 ft sheet of marine ply to
even out the platform and spread the load.

The side rails stop you rolling off the roof !

Great rack, roof box, canoes etc.
would not do without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts