VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to search info but had no luck.

I want to add solar to my van with Pop top/Tailgate. The leisure battery is under driver seat. The distribution panel and battery charger are in the rear cupboard.

What is the best way to fit the panel, route cabling and where do you position the Mppt controller.

I know volt drop is a concern . At a guess with cable routing I am 2m from panel to controller and 2m controller to Battery. Is that an issue? I would be purchasing TWO 5m meters MC4 cable with connectors

how did you come into the van? was it through the canvas at the back or did you route it via the roof channel in the rear lights and into the cupboard?

Have I missed anything?
Thanks

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,271 Posts
I have tried to search info but had no luck.

I want to add solar to my van with Pop top/Tailgate. The leisure battery is under driver seat. The distribution panel and battery charger are in the rear cupboard.

What is the best way to fit the panel, route cabling and where do you position the Mppt controller.

I know volt drop is a concern . At a guess with cable routing I am 2m from panel to controller and 2m controller to Battery. Is that an issue? I would be purchasing TWO 5m meters MC4 cable with connectors

how did you come into the van? was it through the canvas at the back or did you route it via the roof channel in the rear lights and into the cupboard?

Have I missed anything?
Thanks
If you have the battery charger at the back, then I would be minded to fit the solar controller in the rear cupboard alongside, and have the controller output cables connected to the battery charger output cables that already go to the battery, Generally speaking you will be charging via solar OR charger and rarely together, and (obviously depending on panel size and charger rating) they will have fairly comparable current ratings.
When you say distribution panel,is that 12V distribution as well? If so, then you should have some decently chunky 12V cable between it and the battery to tap into (and probably what the battery charger is connected to?)

Down the tailgate and through behind the light cluster is the least obtrusive I think and a fairly easy route into the cupboard.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yep, I'd second that. The cable from panel to controller is most important and as you will be using 4 mm with no more that 2 metres it will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.