VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently brought a 2015 T5 camper that I want attach a tow bar on. Attaching the towbar doesnt seem to difficult but the wiring seems a tad more difficult. As far as I can see from research online the 2 options are either, basic wiring where I would just connect the relevant wires together or CANbus wiring where I would need to install a bypass relay. So the question is, how do I check what wiring I have in the van?

I have seen on some articles that you can check by looking at the back if the OBDII port to see if there is a twisted wires going into 6 and 14. I have had a look (picture below) and cant see twisted wires but im still none the wiser and that is far as my research has gone. The colour of the wires going into 6 and 14 are grey with red and grey with white.

Thanks for your help.
Matt

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,430 Posts
No need to check, it does have canbus so you need a bypass relay or the expensive genuine VW kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have just fitted a towbar from pfjones. If you check their website they list the correct bits needed for your model.
Bar seems good quality and fitted without issues and they were the cheapest. Get some spare fasteners for the bumper - those push in plastic plug things as you will destroy some of them to get them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, I suppose the next question is, for the bypass relay, it needs continuous power, can I feed this from my leisure battery or does it have to be the vehicle battery?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts