VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just bought a 1.9 T5 T32, and given my current levels of mechanical ineptitude was so focussed on checking fluid levels etc. that I missed this cable tied bodge on the top of the engine.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Plumbing Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

I think this is a bodged EGR valve bypass, but I wanted to double check. I can see two spots behind the engine where those pipes look like they should be attached.

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Auto part

I like leaving everything as standard as possible, so want to figure out what I need to do to make this right! (Especially before that cable tie rubs through the pipe it’s looped around), If it is the EGR valve, I’m assuming it was bodged because it wasn’t working correctly, and a full replacement is probably the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give here!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
No 1.9 engines where ever fitted with a dpf only 2.5 and later 2.0
Not aware of 1.9 engines having a water-cooled egr only later 2.0 but i could be wrong on that one 👍

·
Registered
365 Posts
The later 07ish 1.9tdi had the electronic egr valve with a cooler.
I'd be concerned as to why someone bypassed it, its possible that the coolant has been pressurising or lost from the cooler. Only way to tell is to connect them back up and hope for the best!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It had a coolant leak last year (there’s a receipt from the garage), so I suspect this might be a related ‘fix’. I’ll reconnect it and see what happens!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did this exact same bodge to try and work out if my egr cooler was the cause of coolant loss (it wasn't in the end :/ )

The pipes are different lengths, so it's easy to see which one goes where - I needed to get the correct tool to expand the pipe clips, but jubilee style work work too.

You'll lose a few litres of coolant too as the pipes will be lower than the expansion tank when you refit them, so have some spare handy to top up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts