VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With fuel prices the way they are I am very conscious that every time I fill up my tank with diesel (or liquid gold as I call it now) it is costing me an absolute fortune. I accept that buying a 2.5 174 probably wasn't the smartest move for someone who watches the mpg but it is not as if I am going to change my van anytime soon.

For the past few months I have been logging my fill ups using an iPhone app and yesterday I was shocked at seeing that my average mpg was just 29mpg!! The van is mostly driven long distances, fully laden with a a family of four but nevertheless that is pretty bad :eek:

What I am after is some sort of mod I can make to the engine that gives me better economy. I am not interested in more power or better acceleration, lord knows it has plenty of that. Is there a chip or re-tune out there which can give me an mpg boost? Obviously it shouldn't cost the earth either otherwise this would defeat the object of saving money.

Any (sensible) ideas would be most welcome;)

Ta

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Check tyre pressures
Drive slower
and use neutral and coast
There are plenty of websites with dozens of advice like these

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
If its a post 2007 van with the letters BPC on the sticker under the steering wheel then I'd recommend you speak to Pendle and have the DPF removed from the exhaust. This will remove a lots of back pressure. They should also be able to get it running a bit more economically with further remapping. Also look into low rolling resistance tyres (no wider than 235) and remove any external superfluous items. If you can lower it, fit side skirts and a front lip spoiler then you may be able to divert air from underneath (the drag coefficient of the bumpy bottom is worse than the smooth top). Then change the air filter and possibly find a lower viscosity oil?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
stick a block of wood under the loud pedal LOL:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm suprised how bad the MPG is on these vans generally. My 180 dsg kombi is giving me 25mpg max and only 26 on a run. I must admit I expected better but I only do 500miles per month so its not going to break the bank but still, I was hoping for low 30's.

·
Registered
938 Posts
With fuel prices the way they are I am very conscious that every time I fill up my tank with diesel (or liquid gold as I call it now) it is costing me an absolute fortune. I accept that buying a 2.5 174 probably wasn't the smartest move for someone who watches the mpg but it is not as if I am going to change my van anytime soon.

For the past few months I have been logging my fill ups using an iPhone app and yesterday I was shocked at seeing that my average mpg was just 29mpg!! The van is mostly driven long distances, fully laden with a a family of four but nevertheless that is pretty bad :eek:

What I am after is some sort of mod I can make to the engine that gives me better economy. I am not interested in more power or better acceleration, lord knows it has plenty of that. Is there a chip or re-tune out there which can give me an mpg boost? Obviously it shouldn't cost the earth either otherwise this would defeat the object of saving money.

Any (sensible) ideas would be most welcome;)

Ta
I wouldn't say 30mpg is too bad considering you are pushing a two-tonne brick through the air. Btw, i have a 2.5 174 too, and seem to average 31-33 no matte what i do. Blanking egr seemed to make a litle bit of difference for the better, and i have it booked in for a remap with WagenWorx next week, so will see if that helps.

Bottom line is, as you've said, you aint ever gonna get good mpg. Mind you, my wife's 1.6 petrol Scenic only did 30mpg too. Luckily she's now got one of them uber frugal new diesel Festers. 70+mpg

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm suprised how bad the MPG is on these vans generally. My 180 dsg kombi is giving me 25mpg max and only 26 on a run. I must admit I expected better but I only do 500miles per month so its not going to break the bank but still, I was hoping for low 30's.
I just got 43 on a run I:
Have a look for my thread

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ive had my 140 kombi a week now and its doing 30mpg but my last 130 did 25-27mpg .
The facts about a van.
It weights 2 ton empty plus tools plus passengers,tools etc

The shape of a brick

When they test at the factory its empty ,no wind, no hills.

I never fill it up to the brim as the handling is changed and mpg goes down.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ive had my 140 kombi a week now and its doing 30mpg but my last 130 did 25-27mpg .
The facts about a van.
It weights 2 ton empty plus tools plus passengers,tools etc

The shape of a brick

When they test at the factory its empty ,no wind, no hills.

I never fill it up to the brim as the handling is changed and mpg goes down.
I honestly can say that I can't tell if tank is full or empty

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've only used mine for one trip before it went into the conversion place but it was 10 miles through a built up area in the evening. Driving lightly but not trying to go slowly it showed 42.2mpg on the trip computer T:. The van was totally empty and only had 200 miles on the clock. I was very surprised to see that show up though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I suppose the bottom line is that I am not going to see any big improvements in economy without spending some money under the hood. I know I can drive a little slower but the Pendle remap looks interesting. Apart from the cost, is there a downside to remapping? E.g. Higher insurance premiums?, long term engine problems? Likewise, what are the implications for removing the DPF? (mine does have one). I know I'm going slightly off topic here but what is it fitted for anyway?

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Removing the DPF is a big bonus for the engine but runs the risk of failing the MOT if they ever tighten the regs in the future (although there's nothing in the pipeline). High exhaust back pressure not only loads up the engine but it also reduces the rate at which the oil is contaminated with soot. The soot is forced past the seals of the turbo and up the exhaust valve guides and it justs causes headaches for the engine. New minis have to have a second oil filter in the turbo feed to keep the muck out and that blocks too, its just a total disaster. If you do remove the DPF then buy a DPF delete pipe (£200?) otherwise if you smash the guts out of the original and then have to buy a new one they're £1300.

It will increase your insurance but if you just declare a remap but no power increase then it should be marginal cost increase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts