VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
No doubt about it they are considerably cheaper

But the big problem which has recently raised its head is you need a certificate of conformity to import any vehicle under 10 years of age

An Irish COF is not acceptable and if the van is Irish you will not get a British COF on it !!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt about it they are considerably cheaper

But the big problem which has recently raised its head is you need a certificate of conformity to import any vehicle under 10 years of age

An Irish COF is not acceptable and if the van is Irish you will not get a British COF on it !!!!!
I thought I read on another thread that there is a procedure to follow but it is by no means impossible to import.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't be up to speed on the regulations by no means. I was reading a few threads the other night and some said it was easy to import while others disagreed. I just posted an example of what is for sale in Ireland as with sterling strong against the euro ye guys can get great value.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just bought mine of someone who went down the Irish route, it's a long painful route, but in my eyes, well worth it if you want to save a few quid, they are considerably cheaper, but you can't get insurance as mention until the DVLA give you the certificate. I got mine on the cheap, coz he was getting some right grief of the wife, he thought it would just be a few weeks, but took months, summer went, driving trip lost, my gain. Do your research first, speak to the DVLA, they are human, I was really twitchy about buying it, but after a phone call to them, they backed up all the paperwork the guy had, VW even backed up the VIN. You can even do van checks on Irish plates, like you can here, it cost me about £50/60 to get 2 checks done, 1 Irish (a lot dearer than here) 1 UK, but well worth spending the money and calling around to check it was genuine. I reckon I saved 3/4k buying mine than buying it in the UK, but I did drive a hard bargain, he was desperate to get some of his money back. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I should have added, I think it was very slow on his part because he wasn't in the know, didn't do his research, if you gem up on this first, I think it will be a lot better/quicker process.

·
Registered
883 Posts
mine was an irish van, but all the paperwork was done by someone else. it even had the irish plates still on it (came with the uk plates in the door pocket). so it HAS to be doable somehow. just be warned if you buy an irish van already registered/MOTd in the uk, the mileage could well be lost by someone switching out the km clocks for mph ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't be up to speed on the regulations by no means. I was reading a few threads the other night and some said it was easy to import while others disagreed. I just posted an example of what is for sale in Ireland as with sterling strong against the euro ye guys can get great value.
I lived and worked in Wexford Southern Ireland For 12 years and returned to the Uk 3 years ago I brought my van back with me and had no bother registering it
Things have changed and it appears there is no way around this COF issue

·
Registered
93 Posts
And there may also be a VAT implication to consider.
You have to prove VAT was paid when purchased new, which is crazy.... How could you buy a new van and not pay VAT !!

Furthermore you have to complete a NOVI (Notification Of Vehicle Importation) with Customs and Revenue

But still you do not have what Dvla require THE CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY

·
Registered
174 Posts
The paperwork is tiresome. But eventually worth it. My only experience is registering my (£1000) imported Indian Lambretta in the UK last year. The legwork required was colossal and always frustrating. The insurance debacle was even worse, as i had to insure it to tax it. Try insuring a vehicle on the VIN number alone - for longer than a month ! - and yup, it took longer than a month, by which time it couldnt be taxed, as the insurance had lapsed. But by far, the biggest PITA was proving that any VAT had been paid on a 1970's scooter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We went on a weeks holiday in Ireland and we thought most of the roads were incredibly rough, a lot worst then English roads, I vowed never to buy a car, van or motorcycle that had spent time being driven on them no matter how much money you may or may not save.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have seen one or two UK vans
Write offs etc
Exported to Ireland
And then imported back in to mask their history
Which is impossible from a vin number anyway
but can catch some out

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've looked at a few but always been put off by a couple of things. Firstly, if a van was written off in Ireland wouldn't this history be wiped clean when it was brought over to the UK? If a van was written off in the UK and taken over to Ireland, wouldn't that also wipe clean it's history if it was brought back? Secondly, there are proportionally way too many Irish vans for sale in the UK, still on Irish plates. The sellers always insist that it's a doddle to change them over to a UK registration. You have to ask why they don't do it then, if it really was that simple, considering it would increase the sale value.

I'm saw an 07 Caravelle with apparently 45,000 miles on the clock yesterday. A quick email to the seller to ask for MOT history to backup the mileage got a response with loads of scanned paperwork and MOT history, up until 2 years ago. The seller now reckons the last 2 MOT's were in N.Ire and even though in the UK, so can't be viewed online. Oh, yeah, he's abroad at the moment and the last 2 MOT's are with the van back in the UK. I suspect the reply I gave asking if I can see the van will generate the usual response about them delivering at their cost, I have to pay up font with Paypal, covered by the Ebay buyer protection scheme (which does NOT cover vehicles).... It's a minefield out there, I know of at least 8 or 9 obvious scam T5 adverts on Ebay and Autotrader at the moment. The style is so similar, it's probably the same one or two people behind it all.

T5's are certainly in demand and the scammers know it.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've looked at a few but always been put off by a couple of things. Firstly, if a van was written off in Ireland wouldn't this history be wiped clean when it was brought over to the UK? If a van was written off in the UK and taken over to Ireland, wouldn't that also wipe clean it's history if it was brought back? Secondly, there are proportionally way too many Irish vans for sale in the UK, still on Irish plates. The sellers always insist that it's a doddle to change them over to a UK registration. You have to ask why they don't do it then, if it really was that simple, considering it would increase the sale value.

I'm saw an 07 Caravelle with apparently 45,000 miles on the clock yesterday. A quick email to the seller to ask for MOT history to backup the mileage got a response with loads of scanned paperwork and MOT history, up until 2 years ago. The seller now reckons the last 2 MOT's were in N.Ire and even though in the UK, so can't be viewed online. Oh, yeah, he's abroad at the moment and the last 2 MOT's are with the van back in the UK. I suspect the reply I gave asking if I can see the van will generate the usual response about them delivering at their cost, I have to pay up font with Paypal, covered by the Ebay buyer protection scheme (which does NOT cover vehicles).... It's a minefield out there, I know of at least 8 or 9 obvious scam T5 adverts on Ebay and Autotrader at the moment. The style is so similar, it's probably the same one or two people behind it all.

T5's are certainly in demand and the scammers know it.
Good post
Spot on and sums it up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts