VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not had my T4 Leisuredrive Crusader camper (1992) for that long, and it's just stopped raining long enough for me to want to open the sliding side window above the stove.

To my amazement the opening mechanism / sliding bar thing, is on the outside! That means anybody can open it with great ease, get in or open the front door simply by lifting the catch.

I've searched thought the forums, and on the web, and can't find any mention of the problem.

Does that mean my window has been installed differently (i.e. inside out), or am I missing something.

This is what it looks like.

Is there any way of making this secure, other than sealing it closed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Looks like an aftermarket window fitted the wrong way round. I'd either get it swapped round or have a new one fitted. Plenty of panel left to cut for a new window

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
very weird
assume it opens from the front - as ours? so looks to be fitted upside down or as suggested is a passenger side one fitted inside out.
presumably smooth on the inside so nothing to grab to open it?
should be taken out & refitted
or use glass glue to fix a knob at the bottom front inside, then screw a catch to the frame that when closed will block the knob, ours is like a Z shaped hinge that you flick up. also fitted a screw for extra security at the top

odd one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, does sound as if it's from the passenger side inside out. Can't be upside down, or the pull sign would be in the up direction.

The glass glue suggestion was one I had thought of, but I'll have a shot at getting the supplier to change it first (at his cost of course!).

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Looking at the picture, window is fitted in old style rubber seal.

It should be possible to remove and turn window other way round, quite easily.

It's possible it has been removed for some reason and put back in the wrong way round?

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
Looking at the picture, window is fitted in old style rubber seal.

It should be possible to remove and turn window other way round, quite easily.

It's possible it has been removed for some reason and put back in the wrong way round?
Totally agree with Gaz, you can pull out the insert in the rubber, then with a helper, remove the window, turn it round (not the rubber as that is the right way round, and refit.
One nice working sliding window T:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
It sounds more like there is a catch missing, usually there is a sprung catch mounted to the body work inside to stop it sliding open, the springs often fail, making it easy to gain entry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts