VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the missus had a new red v5 form through the post the other day. on the front of the form it says that it is not proof of ownership.
if thats the case, how do you prove that you own a vehicle?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
New v5's are being issued to all registered keepers after a break in at dvla in which thives took 130,000 unused old, blue, v5 log books. these have turned up being given with stolen and ringed cars so the decision was made to change the color and re-issue to every keeper on the data base at that time and since.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I remember one of my erstwhile colleagues slagging me off in front of others, (big mistake), about my "old" T4 van. The person in question had just picked up her new car.

I asked how much of this new car did she own? The back wheels? She said it's her car, her name was in the log book. I said that she was the registered keeper and the car belonged to Bank of Ireland/Ulster Bank etc.

My van belonged to me however and if I wanted to sell it or set it on fire that was up to me but she couldn't dispose of it even though her name was in the log book.

Well, she started it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Invoice or receipt they are only proof of ownership

Lee

·
Registered
441 Posts
Over here you can have dual ownership on the registration document, if it is being bought on credit, you can only get finance through a Bank, they have their name on the document as well as yours, and you cannot change the registration details without the bank stamping the document, to show the debt is clear.

Also you can have both husband and wife/partner on the same document, which makes it harder for one to sell the vehicle without the other signing off the document.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
posession is 9 tenths of the law...and how true this is. i sold a car to a colleague and never got paid all the money, i asked the police for my options who basically luaghed at me! I told them i would collect it with my spare key and they told me point blank that they will arest me if i do as posession in 9/10 of the law regardless of the log book etc etc :ILU:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts