VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bit of a noob question I guess.. but how easy is it to adjust coilovers?

I mean, if I use van on regular roads most if time and would like a pretty low drop, but then one weekend I decide to go to some gala where parking is in a field - can I adjust easily before I set off and give myself a decent rise in anticipation of field parking?? i.e. can it be done in 10 mins on Saturday morning?!?! or do I need a whole Sunday and special spanners etc ;)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Jack the van up, the bodiy not the swing arm, this will let the spring hang loose & take the pressure off the adjuster. You should be able to spin the adjuster ring by hand now, easy. Takes 5mins per side

·
Registered
868 Posts
Jack the van up, the bodiy not the swing arm, this will let the spring hang loose & take the pressure off the adjuster. You should be able to spin the adjuster ring by hand now, easy. Takes 5mins per side
ok cheers, do you wind it down the thread to raise the rears ? That's how it looks to me. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I found that there was too much tension on the rear spring if it was just jacked up. Had to remove the lower shock mount bolt to fully release the tension or there was no way adjusters would turn. If its super low to start with there is probably less tension so may not be a problem. Will need to record the settings to put it back as soon as you have finished as the tracking will be wrong for the new ride height.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh.. this affects tracking right? ... so it sounds like it can be done reasonably easily (maybe differences are in brands of shocks?), but you only want to do this temporarily, then put it back to how it was to ensure tracking is still correct - is that right ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts