VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Probably mentioned this somewhere in this thread, but one of the things that has frustrated me slightly is the slightly underpowered nature of the 102 mapped engine when lugging around a converted rear, stuff and a few people. Most of this is entirely fine as I've never wanted to drive it aggressively or fast as i put a lot of effort into building it and want to look after it! But, when climbing hills on big A roads, there usually just isn't enough torque/power to remain in 5th at a consistent speed which disengages the cruise control etc etc. Yes first world problems i know.

So as its been insured for a standard stage 1 remap for a year and a half that I've never got round to, thats exactly whats happening this Thursday with a trip to Celtic Tuning in Newquay!

Didn't want to go higher than stage 1, 138bhp, 251lb/ft remap as i only really want it to get uphill easier and don't want to put any stresses into the engine for which it wasn't designed. My understanding being that the 102 and 138bhp factory models are identical engines only with different software and the factory 138 has a 6 speed gearbox. So given my tortoise style of driving and modest remap, long term reliability should never be compromised.

Then next week I'm off to Dorset (i think) so will have a good test run.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Remap done today. Went and had a pub lunch while they were doing it. Picked up 2 hours later and took for a test drive. Exactly what I wanted.

Pulls far better through range now but nothing silly. Couple of hills on the way home which I knew the van couldn’t hold speed in 5th, it now either holds or gains. Really pleased!

The real test will be hamburger hill on the A30 when we depart Kernow on Monday.

End result on the Dyno was 140hp / 241lb.ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
Let the gaffer decide and then you can't be in the wrong ;)

We like a few sites in that area , the shrubbery at Rousdon if you wanna do Lyme . Highlands end next to west bay if you dont mind big sites and ONLY if the weather forecast is mild. .(.idyllic views but on the edge of a cliff) Well's touring park if you like small adults only within 20 mins walk of Wells . Cheddar bridge again if you like small , adults only within 20 mins walk of the gorge ....

Too much choice T:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Let the gaffer decide and then you can't be in the wrong ;)

We like a few sites in that area , the shrubbery at Rousdon if you wanna do Lyme . Highlands end next to west bay if you dont mind big sites and ONLY if the weather forecast is mild. .(.idyllic views but on the edge of a cliff) Well's touring park if you like small adults only within 20 mins walk of Wells . Cheddar bridge again if you like small , adults only within 20 mins walk of the gorge ....

Too much choice T:

I will take note of all of these for future reference thanks.

We’re actually cheating and staying in lodges with extended family on this occasion. Ssssshh. Don’t tell anyone

·
Registered
37 Posts
So scratch that last diagram. realised i drew part of it incorrectly. This i believe is the correct representation of the circuit i built:

Bit of a slow reply, life got carried away!
thought you might be interested to see my version of this.

changed the priority so that the spots will come on with the door opening rather than the kitchen and bed and forgot to change the wording on one of the switches, but installing it shortly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Bit of a slow reply, life got carried away!
thought you might be interested to see my version of this.

changed the priority so that the spots will come on with the door opening rather than the kitchen and bed and forgot to change the wording on one of the switches, but installing it shortly.
Nice one! That’s quality!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just realised after a flick through of the thread that i never let you know how i fixed my seat base rear covers. Possibly because i didn't know how effective they would be. But if anyone is interested I used 5x 20x3mm Neodymium N35 magnets with a hole and a 5mm countersink. These have enough strength to hold the panels in place and in a few thousand miles of driving they have never come off or moved out of position.

The other good thing about them being magnets is they are easy to line up the base cover as with a little bit of force you can reposition them quite easily!

Where did you get the cover please?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
So had a bit of a shocker a month or so back. Was killing some time with the boy parked in a car park after a trip to a shop I didn’t even need to do. I’d parked in a bay next to a pedestrian crossing. You know to avoid any car door issues on one side. It had one of those black metal posts at the end to stop people driving over the walkway.

As I loaded said boy back in said van after said completely unnecessary shopping trip, I glanced down at said post and noted the cracked concrete at the bottom and thought to myself “few dummies have hit that!”

At this point I walked around the front of the van, got in the drivers side, checked my phone, started the van then commenced a turn to the left and CRUNCH. I was the latest dummy. Rage peaked for a second and then I had to let it go. So just started laughing. In my defence it is the perfect van damager. You can’t see the post in the side mirrors, above the side window, or above the bonnet.

What can you do eh?

So damage wise from my 1mph accident was knackered door, fuel panel and pillar panel below, the plastic surround behind the fuel panel was cracked and the cill had a small depression in it. Also where the door had creased it had pushed a small dent into the b-pillar.

So I had all those bits replaced with VW parts by the local body magician and the small dings in the pillar and cill pulled out. Sprayed and blended in. £1,997 later and she was the last vehicle out before lockdown closed the bodyshop. Could have done without it in the current circumstances, but really pleased she’s back to unbent. He even replaced the sound deadening in the door. That’s my new rims put on hold for another year then.

Just gotta refit my sidebar at some point and get a new little cill protector.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Gutted, it's such a horrible sound when you make contact with something, your stomach just churns! At least it's all sorted, not ideal by any stretch but these things happen.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Gutted mate. Im still reading through your thread from the start for some inspiration as im going to redo my van, but i skipped to the end for a sneak peak. I did EXACTLY the same thing to my van in January, except i hit a trolly park in B&Q, had to get a whole new cill fitted. Not cheap. So i can totally understand the heartbreak.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Gutted mate. Im still reading through your thread from the start for some inspiration as im going to redo my van, but i skipped to the end for a sneak peak. I did EXACTLY the same thing to my van in January, except i hit a trolly park in B&Q, had to get a whole new cill fitted. Not cheap. So i can totally understand the heartbreak.
Ah unfortunate buddy! Its the classic van accident it would seem! I've now chatted to a number of people who have done this very thing in their own vans. I'm now very much more aware of posts!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
The van is not loving the lockdown so much. 5th "van won't start" flat battery in two weeks.

In a slight oversight of mine, i never really considered any charging facility for the starter battery as I'd connected all the leisure related loads and shifted the stereo to the leisure battery. But it seems after 8 weeks of very limited use, the starter battery is struggling, probably due to the tiny load from the tracker. That's my guess anyway.

So after much thinking on what to do with the existing chargers and how I could charge the starter battery when required, I figured any such solution would be quite a mission or expensive to retrofit. That was until i stumbled on the 25 quid Votronic 3065 12v battery to battery charger.

This little puppy can be connected under the passenger seat to the leisure battery and the starter battery and when the leisure battery is receiving charge from the solar charger or mains charger and it gets above a certain voltage, it will connect the starter battery too. It will only charge the starter at 2-3 amps but thats ample to keep it topped up.

So, excited to get one of these! Problem is they are out of stock everywhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
In other news, been doing a bit of lockdown driveway chilling in the evenings when I can’t be arsed to clean the lounge up after the little one.

Strung up the van festoons, doors open, heater on and you can be anywhere with a bit of imagination!

221 - 240 of 241 Posts