VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
That looks awesome (y)
I did think the other day while tinkering in the van while the sun was shining, if I played sounds of some seagulls and the lapping of the sea on the beach, I could almost feel like I'm at the seaside :cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Slept in van last night for this first time in over a year. Think last time I slept in it was about 4 hours after our lad was born. Went and crashed out right outside the hospital entrance. That was probably the last good sleep I got for a while!

Watched the NASA/SpaceX Demo 2 launch, bit off ISS and dragon hunting then slept with the doors open all night. Was really mild!

Sadly after a full night charging the starter battery it was still not holding a great charge this morning. I figured it was probably 7 years old as the original factory battery and the lockdown gradual voltage depletion had put an old battery off the edge, never to recover. Never mind.

So I went and paid far more than I should have for a new, bigger battery from Halfords today. Still wanna do the votronic battery to battery charger to trickle charge the starter battery from the leisure charging sources but as of yet, they still seem to be out of stock absolutely everywhere. Hopefully I can find one soon to keep this new battery optimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
I had similar problems with my battery, talking to the mechanic he said it was ok for when the van was a van, but since adding in a better stereo, led lights front and rear etc etc it was more of a drain so I like you opted for a much bigger one and been happy days ever since (y)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
So took me a while to actually find one anywhere but today I installed my Votronic 3065 12v battery to battery charger for keeping the starter battery topped up.

Added a 5A fuse on both the leisure battery and the starter battery positive feeds to the unit under the passenger seat and screwed in it. Pretty much it.

So now if the solar or mains is charging the leisure battery, then the leisure battery is also trickle charging the starter battery at 3A max. Which is perfectly sufficient to keep on top of the tiny drain of my tracker during periods of low use.

Like during pandemics

Good little solution for 25 quid though. Happy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great thread. I'm pretty sure that lockdown killed off my alternator. Lesson learnt - popping out and starting the van more often now with the hope of it not happening again!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
3 years after purchasing the van, we finally bit the bullet and got some new wheels. And now they are on, even the mrs has realised the old ones let the van down a bit.

For the first time since I converted the van it actually feels kinda finished!

20” Axe CS Lite rims in Hyper Black with Continental CrossContact ATR tyres (275/40/20). All properly load rated.

Speedo reading within a margin of about 1% vs GPS speed so happy with that.

Just need to paint my rusty towbar now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
cheers guys. yeah, our wallet is also taking a battering.

After putting the conversion off until i finished other projects, I finally got bored in a beach car park in early January and got in the back with a screwdriver and started removing panels. We had discussed whether or not to get a pop top during the previous three months and in the week before had finally decided not to do it on the grounds of we couldn't really justify the spend. No kids mind so not an issue (yet).

With that pretty big and expensive decision shelved, I saw no reason to not get cracking. So after the beach car park i drove home ripped out the carpet lining, what little insulation that was dotted around and removed the headlining. At this point the conversion was on. I then took another day to remove the floor in the back and clean off all the glue residue using white spirit, quite a few rags and a scouring pad.

I am about to embark on this. I have a furry van where old carpet pulled off. Its a mess. Any advice on best method to remove this and glue would be appreciated. Thanks mate

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
I am about to embark on this. I have a furry van where old carpet pulled off. Its a mess. Any advice on best method to remove this and glue would be appreciated. Thanks mate
White spirit and non scratch kitchen sponges with the white scouring pad.

That and a lot of sweat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like many others I am just about to start a conversion. I have done a couple previously which looked OK but didn't have much in the way of electrics and had only basic insulation. I would like a more professional conversion like yours this time as I shall be buying a more expensive van. Your thread will be an excellent guide to the order of things and likely problems, so thank you very much. Have you calculated the approximate spend yet?

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
241 - 253 of 253 Posts