VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
is yours a 1.9td ? if so take your accelerator cable off from the engine side and put some 3 in 1 oil down it and hook it up on the bonnet for an hour it did the world of good for mine T:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi mate, my 1.9td had a stiff accelerator and the van was also very slow especially in the morning. I have since fitted a new accelerator cable and it as made a world of difference, it drives like a new van. Apparently the cable has a spring inside it and over time the spring stretches and you cant get full throttle, the cable costs £44 from the main dealer, I tried euro car parts first, they wanted £30 but it turned out to be the wrong cable. You will be able to tell if your cable is the same as mine, if you look at it under bonnet where it comes out of bulkhead it has got a wider part with 2 wires going to it (apparently this is where the spring is that stretches) it is also really easy to change takes about 15/20 mins tops.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, forgot to mention that it's 2.5 petrol auto - always at the pumps, not sure who's worse: the wife down the shops or the Velle at the petrol pump all the time :D

I have just changed the oil in the gearbox, but only put 5 litres in and not the 7 I got told by VW so there gearbox is nice and loose.

Looking at the cable from engine bay it does look a bit lose, but not knowing what it should be like, I'm a bit stuck.

Also, when going up hills it seems to slow down, and I know that the Velle does weigh a bit but not to the point that I'm being over taken by lorries - surely?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts