VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just had my letter from Boris telling me that my camper isn't compliant with the Low Emmissions Zone.

I've just spoken to a friend who tells me that as a camper we are exempt, but checking the TLF website I am not. It appears that because the Revenue Weight on my V5 doc says 2515KG, I am 15KG over the limit and not exempt.

Having looked at the T4 manual, it confirms the gross vehicle weight is 2515KG, but we never carry a full load like a van would being a camper.

I thought I would ask how heavy other campers were (on the V5), and if anyone has any ideas how I can shed 15KG from my V5 doc.

Bit gutted at the mo...

M

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I recently had my T4 on a weighbridge to measure nose weight and tail weight and total weight. Its a fully converted camper with a reimo pop top,cooker,sink,fridge,leisure battery,watertank etc etc,1.9TDI motor i was suprised to find it weighs in at 1980kg with me in the driving seat aswell.Not as heavy as i imagined

·
Registered
961 Posts
so, would I be right in thinking that if i get my van officially changed to a "motor caravan" (which can happen after this week as im installing windows when they arrive) and if the van weighs under 2.5 ton... then I should be able to tell Borris to F off?

:ILU:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Received my letter from Boris this week, as I live in London. It looks like my 94' T4 camper will be trapped in my road from January 2012. I cannot spend a couple of thousand pounds on converting it as seems to be what I have been told I have to do. My vehicle is 90kgs above the weight accepted by boris. Why do we accept this ? there must be lots of older vehicles trapped in London from next year. How about everybody parking in central london on a Sunday somewhere which would cause the people at County Hall a bit of stress, as I have been since receiving the letter and show them that we have a voice. I have emailed and written to most people in power that I can think of. No responce. By the way letter dated 1st April from Boris, so of course I thought it was a wind up at first.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
This is no fair for you folk who live and work in London. :eek:Residents and small businesses should be exempt. T:

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
You can get the gross vehicle weight downsized for less than three figures if I remember correctly.
I haven't looked into it but I assume if your gross vehicle weight is below 2500kg you're in the clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my T4 LWB 2.5 tdi on the scales at the MOT centre recently, a mere 1850kg. In the back is only a rock n roll bed and carpet/linings etc.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My 92 Westy weighs 2040kg with nothing in it (not even me) I took it to be weighed cos I want to get it down rated to get under the 2500kg limit. Contact http://www.svtech.co.uk/motorhomes.html and they can help you with this.
Steven Tazz put me onto them and they have were very helpful. I've yet to start the paperchase of getting it officially downrated, then changing my V5 at the DVLA and finally getting it accepted by Boris and the TFL nazis but i hope its all going to be worth it in the end provided they don't change the goalposts in a couple of years time :confused:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
My V5 doesn't have any weight mentioned on it.
I have a T4 Caravelle which is standard at the moment - just working out a custom bed & L-shaped layout.
Without actually going and weighing my van how can I tell what it is supposed to be and therefore whether I am effected by the >2500kg problem ?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone. I have checked the LEZ website to see if my 98' 2.4d camper is exempt and it is not. But if I go through the flow chart and say it weighs under 2500kg then it is exempt, if it weighs over 2500kg then I have to pay. It seem the best way is to replate the gross weight to under 2500kg. But those of us with ladened campers beware you do not over aload the new GVW. Some people are saying there campers are weighing 1900 - 2000kg empty, that only leave's a payload of 500 - 600kg. This might seem a lot but with 4 adults on board you could lose around 400kg of your payload, then add all the extra luggage. I'm not saying don't do it, but just think what your max load might be. As for my camper I have a larger GVW of 2800kg, so losing 300kg is a lot.

John.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i spoke to tfl today on this matter from my conversation with them i was told that if i got my van re-weighed and changed on the v5 then it would become exempt, the only unknown is whether or not its that easy to do. Can you just turn up at a VOSA weighbridge and pay to be weighed?

b

·
Registered
2000 T4 California Exclusive 2.5 TDi
542 Posts
HI

I popped into my local recycle centre on the way home and had my van weighed it for free (thanks for the tip Uzi) - van weighed exactly 2200kg:D:D:D

that is with all camper gear which usually lives in the van anyway, 1/2 tank of diesel, also I keep a set of tools under the RnR bed for fixing the van, plus I have heavy metal side bars and a permanent Fiamma awning which weighs a ton!

I was well happy to find out the weight, I spoke with the LEZ people a few weeks ago and I was told I will need to get the van weighed officially at a VOSA weighbridge - I just found this on the web www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/10%20212a.pdf

irishkeet

·
Registered
641 Posts
I will be interested if anyone actually manages to get details changed based on a weighbridge certificate. As far as I am aware the figure that matters to TFL is the design gross weight... which is not the actual weight of the vehicle. I cannot see how you can downgrade the DGW of a van by making it a camper.

·
Registered
2000 T4 California Exclusive 2.5 TDi
542 Posts
I will be interested if anyone actually manages to get details changed based on a weighbridge certificate. As far as I am aware the figure that matters to TFL is the design gross weight... which is not the actual weight of the vehicle. I cannot see how you can downgrade the DGW of a van by making it a camper.
Update since again speaking with Svtech As posted by Uzi http://www.svtech.co.uk/
you get your van weighed and send them the weight ticket

they issue you with a new plate & paperwork - £100 + VAT

you then speak with the DVLA, get your V5 changed

then contact the LEZ with your new info.

my Gross Vehicle Weight plate says 2590kg, the new plate will say 2490kg under the 2.5 LEZ limit.

Is it this simple or am I missing out on something, I dont want to shell out £120 for nothing :confused:

irishkeet

1 - 20 of 40 Posts