VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at a pair of T4 raisers at dubfreeze but figured they would be no different than putting an extra set of rubbers in. What im wondering is, how high can you go before the standard shocks are fully extended???

Ash kindly asked at Dubfreeze if you could put two sets of raisers in for a 40mm lift. Guy said he doesnt see why not. But didn't really want to give an answer when asked what about 3 sets for 60mm lift LOL:

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can borrow my rubbers if you want and try them, (they might not fit you though small boy) LOL: I know I said you could have them but i dont know how well i can tow my caravan since i have taken them out.

Borrow them and try them out but just let me have them back mid april and if i manage to tow my caravan ok without putting them back in you can have em,

You high riding wanna be syncro driver Rasp:

·
Registered
379 Posts
The stock shocks will allow you to go higher than the steering camber can manage whilst still staying true. At the front, this is about 45mm over the stock LWB Transporter height with the HD torsion bars. At the rear...sky is the limit unless you have syncro in which case the centre drive shaft angle and CV joints become the limiting factor.

Mine is lifted 40mm and still has off the shelf Koni shocks under it.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the info mate. Any chance you can give me a clue as to the best way to lift it (parts etc) are you just adding rubbers and winding the torsion bar up? Or have you got heavy duty springs etc.

Was wondering if i could put Doka springs on the rear if that would give it some lift? Thought about longer shocks off something else but by the sounds of it, by the time i get high enough to need em its not feasable anyway.

Its a swb velle by the way, 2wd

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nick....
Mine has had the heavy duty King Springs (codeno. KVRR-15) http://www.kingsprings.com.au/default.htm whacked under the rear with the OE pads unchanged. Being in Oz this is a fairly straightforward exercise since any auto shoppe can get them in...but at a price (currently AU$320). In the UK it'll be a little harder...

Another option is Aurora Springs from Adelaide, Oz.....they do rear T4 springs in stock, raised and heavy duty raised options for AU$235, AU$235 and AU$316 respectively
http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/aurora.htm
http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=194_195_196_262_296_315
Exactly what that all means in terms of capacities and how much isn't adequately explained but I'm sure an email can solve the lack of specific information and perhaps determine a shipping cost

On the other hand, if you sourced OE spings and torsion bars from either a DOKA or a LWB Transporter then you will almost certainly get lift over the stock 'Velle height. An extra set of spring pads in the rear will get you even taller and likely very close to the maximum front camber adjustment. And you still won't need to change the shocks.

Even the you beaut shocks that Peter Seikel sells with his lift kits are stock sized Bilstein units. The only difference from the stock Bilstein is that they have been re-valved to provide better of road response

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick....
Mine has had the heavy duty King Springs (codeno. KVRR-15) http://www.kingsprings.com.au/default.htm whacked under the rear with the OE pads unchanged. Being in Oz this is a fairly straightforward exercise since any auto shoppe can get them in...but at a price (currently AU$320). In the UK it'll be a little harder...

Another option is Aurora Springs from Adelaide, Oz.....they do rear T4 springs in stock, raised and heavy duty raised options for AU$235, AU$235 and AU$316 respectively
http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/aurora.htm
http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=194_195_196_262_296_315
Exactly what that all means in terms of capacities and how much isn't adequately explained but I'm sure an email can solve the lack of specific information and perhaps determine a shipping cost

On the other hand, if you sourced OE spings and torsion bars from either a DOKA or a LWB Transporter then you will almost certainly get lift over the stock 'Velle height. An extra set of spring pads in the rear will get you even taller and likely very close to the maximum front camber adjustment. And you still won't need to change the shocks.

Even the you beaut shocks that Peter Seikel sells with his lift kits are stock sized Bilstein units. The only difference from the stock Bilstein is that they have been re-valved to provide better of road response
Cheers very much for your help mate. Appreciate it. I emailed King springs the other day regarding shipping or a UK supplier. Ill have a look into the aurora ones and also keep my eye out for doka parts.

I wasnt aware the torsion bar was different on a doka... :*

Also, when i see normal heavy duty van springs for sale it always says not pick up. Is this purely a load issue (ie obviously the van springs arent rated high enough) Or are there any other differences.

Thanks again mate T:

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
my lwb velle was sat high on what we found out in the end was swb heavy duty springs and when i got heavy duty lwb springs its now raked maybe try lwb hd springs and wind front up abit . :*

·
Registered
379 Posts
maybe try lwb hd springs and wind front up abit . :*
Yep this is all you need to do.....but if you try it in a 'Velle then you may come up against different torsion bar performance. And you may not like the result. The 'Velle has a different torsion bar setup and is designed to sit lower than your average Transporter. Whilst you might get away with it....all my advice is based on Transporters not 'Velles. If you want to lift a 'Velle then I strongly suggest investigating Transporter torsion bars at the same time as investigating HD rear springs

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm also looking to raise mine up and for the off road look. Currently site 80mm lower on 18's but i'm thinking stick back on the HD springs I had and a couple of extra spacers then wind up the front.

How high can you go at the front just by winding up the torison bar? I thought I read somewhere there was a limit??

Also if this gives me say 50mm over standard ride height what's the biggest tyres I could fit on my std 16" rims??
I'm thinking 215/70 R16??

Anyone got some pics of there raised van on MT tyres??? T:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
got my work van up on 2 sets of rubbers and standard 1200kg lwb springs had just over 1000kg in it yesterday and it didnt loook anywhere near loaded down . think im gona go for 3 sets rubbers and big tyres , maybe off roaders . T: . wished i had done it years ago ............... quite fancy a snorkle aswell as bull bars for the "hard" look LOL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts