VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My 2010 T5.1 is just 4 years old and I decided to do the service and noticed it hasnt got an engine udertray at all. No screws, no torn bits nothing. VW say it had one, they have done first service and safety checks each time it was in and they would have checked this. Is this right.
How is it fitted and would it be possible to lose it and all the fittings completely.
It has bolt holes in the subframe that could have been the fittings but they look as if they have four years rust on them.
Even my cheap ford fiesta has an undertray, my T4 did so why not my T5.1
Cheers m8s
number7

·
Special Rapporteur
10,080 Posts
Six large bolts and a plastic clip. IMO there is no way it could have fallen off and you not noticed, cos it would have dragged on the ground for ages beforehand.

There have been other reports of undertrays "going missing" during dealer service, but not many people would be in any position to prove it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
a few years ago i took my van into the dealers for its first service and when it came back the under tray was missing,when i went back it was sat in the workshop they said they had forgot to replace it, sometime later i was talking to a guy who used to work for them and apparently the lads try to leave them off on purpose as they find them a pain

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That a bit upsetting m8s especialy as there is quite a bit of rust where suspension is welded to the sub frame.
Is there any point doing anything with vw or should I buy a polypropolene one on ebay and forget it.
It definately puts me off getting another vw, they cost alot more and vw are supposed to be trustworthy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 5.1s never had an under tray. Well thats what my dealer said when I inspected mine (My van was brand new) and noticed it when taking delivery.

Yes sad I know, but nothing gets past me;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not often they remove it anyway as they usually suck your old oil out of the dipstick tube
IF my garage just sucked out the old oil, I would string them up and shake them until they changed color. The proper way, and only way, is to remove under tray, open drain bolt in the sump, clean bolt, drain oil until empty. Remove old oil filter. Refit bolt with new copper ring/washer. Fit new oil filter. Refit undertray and fill new correct oil.

I hate shortcuts...

Stein :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
My 2005 T5 has a tray but my 2011 T5.1 hasn't...

The T5.1 is also missing the under bonnet trims above the headlights and battery so I guess it's a VW cost cutting plan?

·
Registered
855 Posts
IF my garage just sucked out the old oil, I would string them up and shake them until they changed color. The proper way, and only way, is to remove under tray, open drain bolt in the sump, clean bolt, drain oil until empty. Remove old oil filter. Refit bolt with new copper ring/washer. Fit new oil filter. Refit undertray and fill new correct oil.

I hate shortcuts...

Stein :D
Didnt say it was the right way but most main dealers and a lot of independants use the sucky method and if you have a Smart car it hasnt even got a drain plug as i guess a few other cars wont one day I:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts