VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my van seems to take a long time for the engine to warm up? i would guess at 10-15 mins of driving before the gauge starts to move.... how long does it take yours?

i would not expect the engine thermostat to be broken from new.. is this normal.....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
my van seems to take a long time for the engine to warm up? i would guess at 10-15 mins of driving before the gauge starts to move.... how long does it take yours?

i would not expect the engine thermostat to be broken from new.. is this normal.....
Exactly the same on mine fella - was also told it was quite normal!

Nowadays I have the eberspacher on a timer, and it comes on automatically a while before I leave for work.. no ice and a toasty van! My mrs is proper jealous as I get in and go while she's scraping her car ;-) :ILU:I:

·
Registered
559 Posts
My previous 174 ps took 10/15 mins to show any movement, the new 180 ps 4/5 mins which obviously also effects how soon the heater works in these coming cold months, I'm well pleased:)

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
My previous 174 ps took 10/15 mins to show any movement, the new 180 ps 4/5 mins which obviously also effects how soon the heater works in these coming cold months, I'm well pleased:)
Thats interesting that you say that, as I seem to recall a few GP owers last winter were moaning about how long they took to heat up. I dont think my 174 takes long to warm up, but mostly its short journeys and I wouldnt even expect it to warm up.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
3 degrees this morning with light frost. Took about 6/8 minutes driving about 50 to get nice and toasty

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the heater does put some slight heat out after 5-6mins but the gages dont move for a long time? it does seem like a long time but if its normal???

ill keep an eye on it?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The cab takes about 25 minutes to warm up. This is unfortunate, as the run into work is only 15 minutes!!
The Temperature gauge doesnt start to move until 10 minutes after starting the journey.

I have a car electric blanket which I plug into the cigarette lighter socket. That helps a bit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Pretty cold up here yesterday....jumped in the van (1.9tdi) and started it, with my north face jacket, hat, neck liner and gloves on....scrapped the van, which took 5 mins then drove off, took it another 5 mins to be putting warmth out, then a further 10 mins before I could take my hat off.....*<:)>. So about 15 mins nearly LOL: bloody VW heaters are ....

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Heat rejection from a DI diesel is very sensitive to load. If I bimble over to the next village and sit outside school then it wont warm up but if I press on cross country and down the dual carrageway to work then it'll be blowing warm in under 10 mins. Many modern diesel cars have electric "PTC" heating elements next to the heater matrix so they can demist the windscreen although it sometimes gets packaged with climate control. My mini has got one. I doubt my old T5 has one though. Posh spec T5GPs may do?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My 174 takes 10/15 mins to reach normal temp, 3 to 4 mins to make any difference to frost on the window.

Winter procedure

Start Van
Heated Seats on Rasp:
Heaters on

Defrost wife's car (french poop)

Defrost self on heated seats I: I: I: I: I: I: A: A: A:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts