VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2005 1.9 with approx 55k mileage.

when the van is completely cold, i will get a bit of judder when pulling away in first. once out of 1st, there is no more judder and once up to temperature, the van will pull away fine.

it is possible that there could be some fluid leaking on the clutch which causes this judder (rather than impending DMF doom). i had this on a bmw tourer. i though the clutch was going but on inspection it was fine.

from reading this forums, the more likely culprit is the dmf (perhaps prematurely worn by the previous owner driving lots in traffic and not using enough revs when pulling away). if this is the case, how bad should i let it get before having it (and the clutch) replaced.

do these things gradually get worse and worse (which in itself will provide an indication on when to get it replaced), or is there a risk that something will suddenly let go with little or no warning?

cheers

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There's a lot of the judders going around. There seems to be too many people talking about this to all have DMF problems though, personally I think it feels like moisture / light rust on the clutch plate (not technically minded so not sure if this can happen) but once youve pulled away once it pulls fine. Somebody suggested raising the clutch to the bite point and leave there for about 10 secs and then pull away, which I tried and had no judder. I'm sticking with moisture for now

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with a 2009 1.9 T5 with 20k miles on the clock. I have only had it for the past 1k miles. Would hope and suspect it is not a major clutch problem, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this 18 months ago on my 2007 1.9 and my local VW Commercial dealer said straight away that it was the main gearbox bearing. They replaced it under warranty but stung me for a new dmf and clutch due to the damage apparently caused by the shudder (£600+ bill still). 18 months later i am having exactly the same thing - again only really on cold start (and i live on a hill).

Surely i cant be needing another main gearbox bearing after only 14k of dual carriageway and extremely light use (i only carry two mountain bikes most of the time!)?

I'm thinking of going back to a car.......:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts