VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Here's a challenge...

If I were to buy a 70ah Leisure battery to charge a 35watt coolbox how long would the fully charged battery power the cool box for???

Can anyone provide the equation to work it out???

Battery...
Halfords 70 Ah Leisure Battery comes fully charged and ready to fit.

* Tough Construction Deep Cycle Battery
* Startup Power: 500 Amps
* AH Value: 70
* Reserve Capacity: 130Bench Charge: 7.0 Amps

Coolbox
# Voltage: 12 Volts DC.
# Power Comsumption: DC-35 Watts.

Many thank in advance!!!
Tony

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gary - thanks for the super quick reply - so a week is out of the question then!!!!!
How do I work it out?
Cheers T

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about put it on and time it I:

i find my cool box sucks juice from the LB i generally ahve 1 or 3 lights running as well
Cheers for the very practical suggestion - problem is I aint bought the split charger or battery yet!!! just trying to work out if it is worth the bother! T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine tops up from a solar panel on the roof. With a split relay and solar panel you should never have to recharge - in theory, or so I understand.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
One of the main factors in cooler / fridge operation is the type.
Thermoelectric coolers etc, apart from not being very good at cooling (20 degreed below ambient isnt much good if its 40 in the van:eek:), but that aside, they operate continuously.
So a typical 35watt cooler (say 3amps) will draw 30 amps in 10 hours, which will be more than enough to see off a leisure battery which is 80% charged.
If on the other hand, you have a compressor coolbox / fridge, although they are also rated at 35watt, its only 35watt (say 3A) while the compressor is running, which in my experience is only about 10-20% of the time, possibly less in the night when its cooler and your not opening the door much.
With a 105A battery I have got about 3 days from a compressor fridge without the battery flattening too much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A compressor fridge is the way to go if your budget will stretch to it. They are just so much more efficient, and will refrigerate properly as opposed to a cooler which will cool by a certain number of degrees below ambient temperature.

My van (California) has a compressor fridge and will run a week on battery cooling to 3 degrees C. I know this as I accidentally left it on a few weeks back and went back to find the battery very low (but the fridge very cold). A cooler would kill the battery in a day.

fleep

1 - 10 of 10 Posts