VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peeps, just wondered what boost my 1.9 1z TDI should be making? everything is standard apart from a large front mount intercooler?

Im currently getting 12 - 13 psi at peak power, but drops off to about 10 higher up the revs?? is this normal??

I've spoken to a couple of peeps, who say i should be getting 15psi at peak? which means in 2 - 3 psi down??

I've checked for boost leaks, and there are none present at all, so all is well?? i thought this could just be due to the internal volume increasing as the front mount intercooler is alot bigger than the puny passat tdi one??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any1?? im getting 13 psi? is this normal??

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I dont know for definate bud but reading through the 1.9 tuning thread......14psi was being achieved from turning up the max fuel screw & adjusting the wastegate arm so ya not far off fella T:

Chris

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I dont know for definate bud but reading through the 1.9 tuning thread......14psi was being achieved from turning up the max fuel screw & adjusting the wastegate arm so ya not far off fella T:

Chris
Rixy has done the conversion to full TDi so its all a bit uncharted bud. What you are saying is true for the TD engine though.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Rixy - the ONLY way you're going to know for sure is doing back to back tests using one boost gauge on more than one van - giving you a comparable figure - or getting a mega expensive gauge that is 100% calibrated properly.....and then you'd be only basing your figures against a (possibly uncalibrated) set of figures from another van....

·
Registered
643 Posts
have a look here - http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-6.html#e

good tdi site with lots of info accross full VAG TDi range.

'Do not operate the standard turbocharger at more than 18 psi boost pressure at sea level. (This must be de-rated in proportion to barometric pressure at higher altitudes.) Do not operate an engine with a stock compression ratio at higher than 18 psi boost pressure under any circumstances.'

this bit seems to be pretty clear though

·
Registered
27 Posts
funny im sure the 1.9,s are td not tdi
only 2.5 are tdi

also im sure they run about 8 psi standard so if your getting higher than that its been tweeked as well as the int cooler

i turned my old van up from 8 to 15psi, pulled like a train, much better improvement

its been said not to turn them up higher than 15 unless running a int cooler and oil cooler with egt guage to keep an eye out for it blowing up!!

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c54a0c7fb64b3e31160db74b206fcb32&board=6.0

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Rixy has done the conversion to full TDi so its all a bit uncharted bud. What you are saying is true for the TD engine though.
He retreats 2 the naughty step & hangs his head in shame I:

Note 2 oneself......read & understand b4 thinkin you are smarter than you actually are :D

Not got a clue bud LOL:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
He retreats 2 the naughty step & hangs his head in shame I:

Note 2 oneself......read & understand b4 thinkin you are smarter than you actually are :D

Not got a clue bud LOL:
I'm a geek and have been following the TDi threads or i wouldnt have a clue either, wasnt having a dig mate T:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, well it doesnt run like it's losing pressure, so i wont worry about it......my god its economical now though!! really really good on fuel in comparison to my TD that was removed!

any other people got any opinions??

·
Registered
643 Posts
getting used to the fuel guage out of the goof, from red added £30 took it to half and is now hovering on qtr after 110 miles, intercooler pipes should be here tomorrow ( thanks tidyt ) so should see a better fuel return ( sensor is hanging in engine bay at moment ! )

difference between 2 engines is not even comparable, a good engine mod which should help me loose the slowest T4 badge at next shoot out !!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
cant comment on the boost mate but can deffo say mines much better on fuel since the tdi :ILU:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'll agree on the fuelling side of things......30.00 and so far im over 220 miles and still going!!

agree with the fuel guage comment too....lol - not sure where empty actually is - i darent go any lower, lol!!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i totaly emptied my tank a few days ago to clear the sh*t from the bottom i prolly got 15 litres out of it and it was just above the red lines. 96 model older clocks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
really?? my old ABL clocks used to run out of deisel about a mm under the top red line, which cought me out twice or so........

But these new ones seem to be more accurate - i reckon empty, is actually empty, lol!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am have the same sort of thing with mine when i am doing 60mph my boost gauge is at 15psi and if you put your foot down it will go over 20psi i think the wastegate is faulty and leaking and my boost controller is off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts