VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My upper steering column shaft (the bit that the steering wheel locates to and the big nut screws on to hold the steering wheel in place) has had a dodgy thread on it for sometime. The steering wheel would work lose every few hundred miles and I was getting pretty fed up of tightening it.

Today I managed to find a much better upper shaft in a scrap yard so I nabbed it. Now ive got it fitted to my van but I didnt think to measure how much of the column is supposed to be sticking out passed the ball race for the steering lock housing...... Brooklands manual doesnt mention anything about this, I havent got a Bentley and at the moment it just doesnt look quite right. I think I could do with knocking that plastic collar thing in a bit further but its only plastic and I dont want to force it, and it look, feels and sounds like its where it wants to be...... so right now im stumped....

94 T4 caravelle with the earlier type of steering column setup.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont worry, ive sorted it.....

-After knocking the plastic bearing about 1/4" further into its housing
-then putting the shaft in and the steering lock together so they all lined up
-then putting the upper spring on
-flattening out the lock washer a little bit so that it was a bit tighter on the shaft
-knocking the lock washer into position using my biggest and longest socket as a drift
-then fitting the lower spring, washer and squeezing with all my might to get the UJ into position

everything is now tickety boo.... and ive lobbed a new ignition barrel on for good measure (y);)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
ive lobbed a new ignition barrel on for good measure (y);)
remember that the ignition lock / barrel / aluminium housing can be adjusted up & down the steel column...

Rich.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts