VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a reminder how much I love driving my T5 ..... it's such a great drive.

Had to go down to Middlesborough for work today, and after failing to weasel my way out of it, I can honestly say I wasn't looking forward to a 3 1/2 hour drive followed by five hours of meetings (to which I had little to contribute but the client wanted our presence) and then another 3 1/2 hour drive home. All in 12 hours, right on our company limit for driving/working in a day.

I had offered to give someone else a lift to save cost, but fortunately they pulled out, which meant WOO HOO, I was free to take the van A:

So set off at 7 O'clock this morning, a lovely day for a 400 miles trip, sun was just about shining and traffic was light. Compared to my company vehicle (a VW PAssat, at least it's a VW .... :D ), I find the van soo much more comfortable to drive and can make far longer stints. 3-4 hours straight compared with 2 hours max. in the Passat. It might not accelerate quite so fast (not bad but not remapped ...... yet ;) ), but due to health problems I find the laid back, ass on the floor position of most modern cars sore after a couple of hours.

Thought I might have to stop on the way home, but sailed on past my usual motorway service stations and having left Middlesborough around 3 O'clock, I was home by the back of six, still fresh and relaxed.

So come on, let's all remember how much we love our vans and how GREAT they are to drive. If I could I'd drive it every day (but it won't fit in the office's underground carpark ....:( )

A:A:A:A:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its nice to hear of someone praising the T5 instead of griping about them.
I am looking for a T5 after selling my team yellow T4 , but not sure if its worth buying listening to all the faults people seem to be having with them.
You at least have inspired a little hope.....CheersT:...A:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I love my T5 too and having just showed it off to my T4 driving mate, he loves T5s now too! One more T5 newbie coming soon!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think its like all stuff people only talk about things if they are going wrong and if there are a dozen on here moning about there T5 going wrong think of all the 100's of T5 that have been sold and are not been talked about.I:;) Love my T5 no probs.T:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think most people take the T5 a bit for granted, as it is the 'current' commercial vehicle and therefore does not attract the same nostalga or 'retro' following.

Most of the time we just get in and drive them. Hopefully nothing goes wrong or brakes. It gets us to/from our destination in comfort and therefore we don't notice them.

It sometimes takes something special, like a long drive on a sunny day in my case, for us to suddenly remember how much we love our T5's :D

So come on all you T5 owners, get out there and love you vans (in a non-offensive manner.....I: ....) and then give them the praise they rightly deserve on here.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just had a look at your pics Roors. No wonder you like driving your van so much - it's one sweet ride!
My T5 already has more soul than my cars have ever had and I've only had it a couple of months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My profile name stands for ex car bloke. My golf 130 estate was a great little car but I needed something that I could camp in, go windsurfing in, use as a work van and use every day for short and long trips. Never will I go back to a car!

I bought my 174 SWB window van new three years ago and the novelty has never worn off - I just love it. I put a Reimo roof and bed in it last month which I'm well impressed with and opens up a whole new world of easy camping especially with two spaniels. I reinforced the roof bed so it's suitable for me and the Mrs. Not that we're terribly overweight you understand, just the standard bed is a kids-only affair!!

As a driving machine, with the captain's seats it is just a perfect long distance cruiser. Superbly comfortable for one who suffers from a bad back from time to time. I agree you can drive for many more hours without tiring compared to a car, it's just so relaxing, with that colossal torque making for stress free overtaking and hill climbing.

Unlike a lot of you pimping boys and girls I will keep the standard springs and wheels as I live down a very bumpy farm track and do a lot of wild camping off road so I need the ground clearance and the tall tyres. Here he is - we call him Stan.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Totally agree, daunting drives arent the same anymore. Had my T5 for about 18months, had no problems. Didnt know what to expect when I moved on from the T4's but have not been disapointed. Keep the love coming :ILU:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hear hear! We love our van- 2 years trouble free motoring and always looking for an excuse to go for a drive. 2 weeks holiday in france coming up- loads of miles to do and looking forward to every last one. Never owned a better vehicle. Absolutely love it :ILU:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love my van.

Had to go to North Wales yesterday for work for a day. Left home at 6am and enjoyed the A5 all the way north.

Ok so its not got alloys, or air con, or a decent stereo for that matter, but it still puts a smile on my face after a 296 mile round trip.

Here is a picture from my way to work!!! Sometimes life is just too good.:)

T5's all the way.
T:

·
Registered
281 Posts

I agree, just got back from a road trip down to northern spain (2000 miles round trip) enjoyed every mile, a joy to drive, did the same trip a couple of years back and lets just say it was hard going particularly as i was the only driver....

Only had my T5 for a couple of months now, but love every mile spent in it !

Pic of my T5 in spain (needs a clean i think !)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well im one of the moaners!!Rasp: :)
Ive only had my t5 for 8 months and its broke already!
Being little more than 5 years old with only 85k on the clock its the last thing I expected for newish vehicle.
I know people do go on about things when they break but you didnt see this on the t4 when they were new?
Having owned a t4 for 5 years, I know that t5s are far superior to drive than t4s and I do (did) love driving mine:D especially with the 6 speed box etc and I love the armrests, air-con and electric everything my t4 didnt have.
Makes it feel just like driving a car:D
Mind you I had my t4 for 5 years and it that time NOTHING went wrong with it at all.
Hopefully this is the first and last problem I get with it :)
Happy driving

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love my van.

Had to go to North Wales yesterday for work for a day. Left home at 6am and enjoyed the A5 all the way north.

Ok so its not got alloys, or air con, or a decent stereo for that matter, but it still puts a smile on my face after a 296 mile round trip.

Here is a picture from my way to work!!! Sometimes life is just too good.:)

T5's all the way.
T:

nice day at work :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts