VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise on how much oil you'd expect to use in a TD or tdi in good nick doing mainly motorway work at 3000rpm in the main.

I'm using about 1/2 litre every 500 miles on my refurbished 1.9tdi engine, with high gearing mods doing around 70 and up to 80 hear and there (2800-3200rpm)

I know it's not like the new style engines using next to nothing, but would half hoped it wouldn't need topping up quite so often on an as new engine.

Is the usage reasonable?

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure I go through that much over 5000 miles. This is a 2.5tdi with 216k miles under its belt. It's got a leak. But I don't think it burns any if at all.

Do you think its leaking or burning off?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Shouldn't really be using any.

I had a recon 1.9TD ABL and it was using around the same. Turned out it had a few issues, but the main culprit was the injector spray pattern was rubbish. It was a jet , rather than a mist and it cause the edges of the pistons to erode and the oil was getting through there.

Unfortunately for me, the damage was done. New TDi went in instead. Used next to no oil over thousands of miles.

·
Registered
531 Posts
HI Mate

as above should not really use much at all over a few thousand miles.
Has it got a belly Pan on it, padding collects oil.
Mine was leaking nicely from the oil filter pressure switch, Was dripping about
1 drop every few seconds on tick over and had used about the same amount
as you say on a long run after a rebuild. Don't think its used much since.

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't use any oil in my 2.5 tdi. I think you got a problem somewhere. Any oil on your driveway etc, or smoking exhaust, smell burning oil?

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,802 Posts
A new engine may use 1/2L in its first service intervals, possibly a bit more but nowhere like in 500miles (my 311,000 mile 1Z tdi uses nowhere near that :eek: )

What sort of refurbing has your engine had? If new Pistons / rings & a fresh bore then it needs to wear-in to seal properly, new rings only will also need to bead-in although the bores & Pistons will obviously be worn so not as efficient

Favourite oil leaks & losses are the oil filter & it's housing, the oil-pressure senders (2of them), the rocker-cover (a family favourite for leaks :eek: ) and the plastic breather pipe / fitting onto cylinder block by the oil filter housing (£20 or less posted on egay).
Leaks should be easy to see as the van marking its territory LOL:
Also the turbo could be worn so either the exhaust is oil-cooled or the intercooler is filling up? These are Easy to check

Rich.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,none of the 7 cars with tdi engines and mileages between 90000-400000 used oil between services.Over 400000 on 2.5 tdi Caravelle still going strong on fully synthetic oil.Refurbished with new pistons or just rings?

·
Registered
867 Posts
my 2.5tdi uses nothing from one service to the next.

as others have said though, a new/rebuilt engine will use a bit of oil as it will be creeping past the rings due to a rough bore and new rings.
you may have a couple of issues if its using that much. a bit of loss from the rebuild, a bit through the turbo seals, a bit of a leak somewhere etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My Tdi conversion (engine has 175,000 miles on) uses none I have done about 18,000 miles since converting it, ive done 2,000 miles since last oil change with no oil use.

·
Registered
505 Posts
2003 2.5 tdi uses from near the top mark to near the bottom mark in 10,000 miles, I then get an oil change. Only done 200,000 miles so far, though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checkedwith mechanic and it looks like it's probably largely down to having the wrong oil in and needing time to bed in.
Has only done3K since block honed out and new rings.
Also I put fully synthetic in after first few hundred miles after an oil leak.

Aparently I need to be sticking cheap mineral oil in to let the engine wear in. Fully synthetic isn't letting it bed in.

Once I've managed to get a few K on it will see what its like then.

Cheers for the adviceT:

·
Registered
867 Posts
try not to be too gentle running it in or it never will T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts