VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you say a "drink" is? as in "yea i will do it just give us a drink out of it"? If Im honest I always go with £20! but my two best mates differ one recons that not enough and the other one recons its to much!!

Just thought anyone else had any thoughts on this!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Are U talking like in paying down a favour?
As I stop going to the Pub, I don`t "trade" in drinks or beer there. It used to be "buy a round" which soon accumulates into money as it seldom is just the one. A Pint being just short of 4Eu

Usually if it is a slightly bigger thing I toss in a case of beer, 10-30Eu. Very seldom more than 16Eu though
If specified then it will be 6-pack , 3-10Eu. My neighbour taks that from whoever wants to use his ramp.
Others ask or get a bottle (of rum) which comes to abt 7Eu. A bottle of wine is 3Eu++ which some favour

How do U get to the 20£ Bill?

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Depends on the size of the favour. I fitted my best mates kitchen for a "drink"

He gave me £150. I was happy and so was he.

I've done the odd bit for other mates for a "drink" and it generally varies between £20 and £50.

Although one tight **** gave me a 2 litre bottle of coke :eek:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
I think it is greatly dependant on what the "favour" would have cost if full price had been paidT:

For example my best mates kitchin: we ripped out the old one I rewired it all then we replasterboarded the room, once it had been plastered we then fitted the kitchen and I second fixed the electrics. About 5 days total spread over a couple of weeks.

A paid for installation would have cost somewhere between £2000 and £4000

So a £150 drink is a proper bargain:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea there are a few pople that sort me out bike and mx stuff and they do it all on the drink basis...oh and a dude in a garage near my that does stuff like attack rusted/stuck bolts with his bad boy snap on air gun and use his 4 post lift!

Im not sure how i came at £20. Basicly i though if i was having a drink at home one eveing with some mates what would i drink (3/4x bottles of cider so that price) then add a bit to keep them sweet!!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It depends what I've done and who I'm doing it for. My car related mates generally trade favours for favours, so Im about to spend a day or two wiring up a vr6 mk2, but I imagine at some point my mate will spend a day or two doing some bodywork on the van.

My non car related mates buy me entirely random gifts based on how hard they think something is! This varies from a single bottle of nasty lager to a bottle of decent scotch. These days I generally ask for 'a few bottles of ale' as they understand that.

In the rare occasions I've been begging favours off people, I tend to buy them dinner in the local or a curry when we're out. Usually runs to £15-20 or so, although on one occasion I bought a meal and beers all night for my surveyor and his missus, it ran to about £60, but well worth it as he'd just helped me haggle 10k off a house :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it is greatly dependant on what the "favour" would have cost if full price had been paidT:

For example my best mates kitchin: we ripped out the old one I rewired it all then we replasterboarded the room, once it had been plastered we then fitted the kitchen and I second fixed the electrics. About 5 days total spread over a couple of weeks.

A paid for installation would have cost somewhere between £2000 and £4000

So a £150 drink is a proper bargain:D
I think you have this spot-on.
Exactly how me an my friends go about things

Matt

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I should add that I from friends & peeps I know never ask for money but I do expect some sort of return help/favour time permitting. It does however annoy me severely when they go off & make money on MY Help without coffing up some:mad:
Sorry to see alot of it has gone out of hand & it is interesting to see who actually steps up & helps.
Been given the occational money bill or being treated to, as mentioned, a meal as some point should come with the territorry. As said above, the "size" of the favour somehow matters. Give & Take I sayT:
If say I work at a friends house the whole day I don`t expect to bring my own coffe!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love that line...

"If say I work at a friends house the whole day I don`t expect to bring my own coffe!"...that sums it up perfectly!

most of the people that i "give" a drink to are making ££ out of me some way but im happy as im getting a benifit!

also the people who i give a "drink" to dont need a hand with there bike/car/van/digging/shifting or any help with planning applications so..i dont realy have anythign to offer them!

I have to say i do enjoy helping people out were i can..gives you a nice feeling inside...but i dont like to talk about my charity work mate(smashy/nicey voice!!!!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a tough one this, and at the risk of sounding tight, which I'm not, you have consider how symbiotic your friends are and how the favour might play out. You have to be realistic love for your mates is great but some of them will sadly take advantage, I have been ther many times.

I'm pretty handy, I am a plumbing & heating engineer and have been fixing and restoring cars and bikes all my life, and i have tools and facilities, so for me the act of "doing" is usually mine, I rarely see someone "do" for me.

I once spent 3 days fitting a really nice bathroom for an uncle who gave me £15! And yes, I was somewhat displeased, but ing family values prevented me from saying so. Now had the uncle been a useful sparky, or auto locksmith or plasterer, or dentist, I'd have been happy to know I too will one day get 3 days of spreading r a crown done for £15. But sadly he wasn't, he was a teacher and I am too old to be taken through national curriculum.

I guess I'm saying if you do a favour you deserve to feel one will be done back to you in return at any point in the future even 10 years on, if not then the drink has to be big enough to close the deal?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
From the other side of the fence, I've done jobs "for a drink" and been included in their next round at the pub, or have been presented with 100 queens heads in a neat envelope. Often it's the latter in return for the smaller job too ! :confused::eek: Some you win , some you lose, just don't do jobs for "a drink" for folk you don't know or, who can obviously pay properly.T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts