VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 54 plate t5 that had low oil pressure light come on, and after finding metal splinters in the oil, found that the water pump had broken up and blocked the pick up pipe. The garage has tried all they can to remove the water pump and were unsuccessful, and say that the only option is a replacement engine. I am in 2 minds whether it's best for me to payout for a replacement engine, or try and sell the van to someone who could replace the engine themselves?

So what I'm really trying to find out is what the van is worth as it is?

These are the details of the van.

T5 LWB 174 factory kombi
Twin sliding doors
Glazed rear barn doors
All windows tinted glass not stick on tint
Factory fitted rear heater - controlled by a tel-start fob
Factory fitted electric sun roof
Air con
Cruise control
Trip computer
Fully insulated and carpeted with led lighting
Professional fitted audio system
Factory alloys with brand new tyres
Tow bar and electrics
Reverse parking sensors

Truly is a great spec van and seems a shame not to get her back on the road.

If anyone has an idea of what it's worth it would be great to hear some of them.

Cheers

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds a awesome spec van. The problem is a replacement engine to fit would be in the region of £3000. If it was a 1.9 then you can source good lumps for £800.
With this and the hassle factor would in my mind put your van in the value area of £3000.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What he ^^^ said. If you don't mind spending months advertising various bits again and again on gumtree etc... you'd definately get more by breaking it. Personally, i'd go for a recon engine £2500-£3000 fitted.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
A recon engine is a waste of money, the only options are a secondhand lump = gamble, rebuild what you have ££££s or a new unit from VW £7000 plus.

This is the problem with the 2.5, the engine was only fitted to the T5 and touareg so good secondhand lumps are hard to come by.

If it was mine I'd convert it to a 1.9 with 5 speed box. Would be the most economical repair.

Or break for spares

·
Registered
667 Posts
Look to rebuild possibly with new bits - poss a new block to ensure there are no blocked oilways. Trouble is how much would you need to spend to get another van as good as yours. Probably more than £3- £4K.

I've just gone on autotrader for a similar van not exactly the same spec your talking between £12 and £17k if you plan to keep the van I'd put a genuine VW lump in it and run it forever.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got a brand new Vw engine fitted by APS in Brackley. Cost about £6.5k fitted. They were great to be honest. This was nearly 2 years ago though. Anyhow you get a VW 2 year unlimited mileage warranty with that for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi,
I have 54 plate t5 that had low oil pressure light come on, and after finding metal splinters in the oil, found that the water pump had broken up and blocked the pick up pipe. The garage has tried all they can to remove the water pump and were unsuccessful, and say that the only option is a replacement engine. I am in 2 minds whether it's best for me to payout for a replacement engine, or try and sell the van to someone who could replace the engine themselves?

So what I'm really trying to find out is what the van is worth as it is?

These are the details of the van.

T5 LWB 174 factory kombi
Twin sliding doors
Glazed rear barn doors
All windows tinted glass not stick on tint
Factory fitted rear heater - controlled by a tel-start fob
Factory fitted electric sun roof
Air con
Cruise control
Trip computer
Fully insulated and carpeted with led lighting
Professional fitted audio system
Factory alloys with brand new tyres
Tow bar and electrics
Reverse parking sensors

Truly is a great spec van and seems a shame not to get her back on the road.

If anyone has an idea of what it's worth it would be great to hear some of them.

Cheers

Give me a call and ill do what i can to help, know a good garage in your area also give you a sensible offer on the van if you choose to sell it

regards

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,
I am in the same boat water pump bearings broke up and sent the pump on course of destruction ,milling the inside of the oil well and then pumping the metal around the engine eventually blocking the oil pickup, and finally dumping water into the mix, must have been doing this for a while. My local independent garage found bits of the pump stuck in all the nooks and crannies and one piece wasn't coming out with out a fight. Because of the metal filings everywhere it seems a replacement engine is the sensible option.This is where it gets like the lottery bloody hard to win and not sure what you will get and you need to win big to pay for it.
This is a warning to all 2.5 owners have your pump checked and replaced when needed.
I have written to VW complaining about my position but they have told me its to old and I am not using a vw garage.This I hope to take further arguing its poor design.
So check your pumps or stick to a 1.9!!
Regards
Paul
PS I am still looking for an engine!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your thoughts peoples, I'm surprised they couldn't get the pump out too. I went down to look at it and it's certainly buried deep. But he said he's tried everything. I have now organised a mate of mine who's a mechanic to pick it up and take it to his garage, and he's adamant he CAN get it out, and he'll strip and inspect the rest of the engine too. If that pump will come out then it looks promising, but if all fails, I've decided on a brand spanking new lump. But just have to save a few months first.
I have full confidence in my mechanic mate. He past me the other day and I caught a glimpse through the buttons of his shirt......looked remarkably like a large letter S :gl

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Ive not done one but im sure theres a puller for water pump removal, it may help if they havnt tried this.
There most definatly is and as a worst case scenario I would whip the gearbox out to give you the best access T:T:

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was a long time ago now, just looked back over all your comments and thought I'd let you know how it went with the engine rebuild. My mate took the engine out, welded a lump of metal to the pump, attached a hydraulic ram, first attempt, didn't budge. Added a second ram....still not budging. A little oxy acetylene, then POP!
Engine was then stripped and flushed through, rebuilt with a few new bits like new clutch , cams, and exhaust manifold, and I've been driving it ever since. Cost around £3500 including labour, so a fair saving to a new engine. Maybe can give you 2.5 owners a little hope.....just have the water pump changed every 60k miles like it says in the service book.

Have some pics of the operation so may try and add them at some point

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
This was a long time ago now, just looked back over all your comments and thought I'd let you know how it went with the engine rebuild. My mate took the engine out, welded a lump of metal to the pump, attached a hydraulic ram, first attempt, didn't budge. Added a second ram....still not budging. A little oxy acetylene, then POP!
Engine was then stripped and flushed through, rebuilt with a few new bits like new clutch , cams, and exhaust manifold, and I've been driving it ever since. Cost around £3500 including labour, so a fair saving to a new engine. Maybe can give you 2.5 owners a little hope.....just have the water pump changed every 60k miles like it says in the service book.

Have some pics of the operation so may try and add them at some point
Where does it actually say in the service book the water pump needs changing at 60k?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts