VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post on here. Just bought a 1998 T4 with windows all round. 3 seats at the front, empty loading area. Currently has tidy enough but fairly amateur wood panels under the windows, all painted yellow with some kind of insulation board shoved in loose behind. The floor's just got a thin (maybe 4mm) bit of ply with lino glued on top. Underneath is the bare metal floorpan, with what looks like dark brown ?paint/sealant crudely applied. There are four bolt-sized holes in through the lino board and floor through which you can see the road below.

I'm looking to get it properly soundproofed and insulated but leave the loadspace empty with a hardwearing floor (will be used for bikes/furniture moving). Been quoted £650+VAT for the ceiling and £250+VAT for the floor. So more than a grand all in. Does that sound fair? I would do it myself but (a) I'm at that kind of thing and (b) i haven't got time.

Had thought I might just buy some think rubbery carpet underlay and put it under the floor board/lino for now. But I assume I should block up the four holes first.

So I guess my questions are - what's the brown stuff on the floorpan likely to be?
What's the best way to block up the holes?
How much is normal to pay for a professional lining/soundproofing job on a window van, roughly?

This is my first van so any advice appreciated!

(I'm in Bristol)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
that is about 50% more than it should be..... the place you got the quote from I think they dont really want the jobI:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Clunkey. It was from Mad Workshop in Bristol - had heard good things about them but thought it sounded a lot. If anyone's got a URL or contact for Vandoc I'll ask them for a quote too. I googled them but only found a firm in Worcestershire?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So just had another quote back, this time it says:

"we can fully carpet line it for you with a new side ply kit and we'll carpet around the windows as well and put the side panel kit on top and these will be removeable
this would also include carpeting the existing headlining or we can supply and fit a new one piece headlining price for everything is
£?+vat for full carpeting
£?+vat with 1 piece headlining
to fully sound proof and insulate is £?
and for the new floor which would be made from 12mm ply in a 1piece and you can choose your own topping i.e altro/carpet ext... £280+vat"

So I'm looking at £? all in to line the van, including insulation/soundproofing.

Is this in line with what others have paid for lining/insulating a T4? Once again, any advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
371 Posts
As I said before take different quotes. After a few from professional reputable people, one can draw a conclusion of averages.

A precessional job is what it is. Someone that does something as a means to make a living is a precessional. It's that simple. A diy job does not mean It's any lesser that a professional job.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm near bristol airport, feel free to pop down and take a look at my work. Rough prices are £650 for carpet lining/insulation on a swb, 12mm birch ply one piece floor is £275, one piece headling depends on what you want, I have a van down here that I've done that you can take a look at which has a headling cloth which in my opinion looks a lot nicer than just lining carpet, then depends on lights etc, but a rough price of around £300.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That is a lot.

Especially as the companies that carry out these types of works have templates for the panels and ceiling and floors ect and bulk buy carpet and insulating materials and 100m rolls of altro flooring, but dont pass the savings on to customers to dominate the buisness. I would love to know how much it all breaks down on the invoice.

So 1350 whatever for the job, plus another 170 vat.

Realistically all the materials are paid for through previous jobs.

Maybe 200 for materials absolute maximum for these companies

The templates are there and the worshop is there all the tools are there and paid for so maybe 10-15 hours work even less with multiple hands. At 15 hours its 76 quid per hour. 10 hours its over 100 an hour. I wish i could charge that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That is a lot.

Especially as the companies that carry out these types of works have templates for the panels and ceiling and floors ect and bulk buy carpet and insulating materials and 100m rolls of altro flooring, but dont pass the savings on to customers to dominate the buisness. I would love to know how much it all breaks down on the invoice.

So 1350 whatever for the job, plus another 170 vat.

Realistically all the materials are paid for through previous jobs.

Maybe 200 for materials absolute maximum for these companies

The templates are there and the worshop is there all the tools are there and paid for so maybe 10-15 hours work even less with multiple hands. At 15 hours its 76 quid per hour. 10 hours its over 100 an hour. I wish i could charge that.
I suspect that you have never run a business. Rent, rates, insurance, energy, professional fees, contingency, materials, training, health and safety, vehicle costs etc all cut your actual profits down dramatically. I do nearly everything myself but if I need professional help I don't hesitate to pay their price because that way I feel reassured that it's being done to a good standard.
Anyone can get a cheap job but it doesn't mean you get a good job.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I suspect that you have never run a business. Rent, rates, insurance, energy, professional fees, contingency, materials, training, health and safety, vehicle costs etc all cut your actual profits down dramatically. I do nearly everything myself but if I need professional help I don't hesitate to pay their price because that way I feel reassured that it's being done to a good standard.
Anyone can get a cheap job but it doesn't mean you get a good job.
I have indeed run my own electrical company for a few years. I know how it works pal im aware of these costs most of the above you have mentioned are tax deductable so wheres the fire? Overheads are often used as an excuse for inflated prices. You cant kid a kidder. Profits arent slashed by these things, they are needed to run a buisness.

So sounds like paying for the companys overheads is included in this price..?

If your happy to pay grands for a 'professional' to cut round some templates and slap a few layers of material between wood and carpet be my guest. I guess as ive done all this myself im just shocked. Shop around then i guess if there all similar pick the one with the best name.

I wouldnt mind if a 'proffessional' carpet and insulating job added 1350 to the value of the van. But alas it doesnt.

Im not bashing people or having a go at people trying to make them selves a better life living the dream doing what they love, and not just having a go at van converters its all trades especially my own.

Oh and dont forget you can pay top prices and get a bad job. Definatly not unheard of. Read some horror stories on here. Just because its cheap doesnt mean its substandard, maybe they like being busy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have indeed run my own electrical company for a few years. I know how it works pal im aware of these costs most of the above you have mentioned are tax deductable so wheres the fire? Overheads are often used as an excuse for inflated prices. You cant kid a kidder. Profits arent slashed by these things, they are needed to run a buisness.

So sounds like paying for the companys overheads is included in this price..?
All the company's overheads come out of the price charged and costs may be tax deductable but they still have to be covered before a taxable profit is made.
I agree that you can pay a lot for a poor job but a properly set up business which makes a profit is an entity you can go back to and get a poor job rectified or sue them knowing you will get your money if you win.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
A couple of hours with some cheap lining wallpaper wallpaper and scissors to make templates.
Buy sheet ply for sides and floor, headboard for walls & roof.
Cut to your pattern.
Pva glue to seal wood.
Spray glue, stick on carpet or material of choice. Glue carpet on metalwork in van.
Add insulation secure spray glue gaffa tape.
Drill through side roof panels secure self tap screws.

If you are going to pay £1000 just for lining and insulation you will be needing shed loads of cash for a simple day van.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
All the company's overheads come out of the price charged and costs may be tax deductable but they still have to be covered before a taxable profit is made.
I agree that you can pay a lot for a poor job but a properly set up business which makes a profit is an entity you can go back to and get a poor job rectified or sue them knowing you will get your money if you win.
Well thats not how buisness should be run. (In my opinion)

Overheads should be accounted for at the begining of the year with last years profits. If your just starting the buisness then you incur these costs to have the ability to call yourself a buisness. Speculate to accumulate. Thats just the way it is. Were not talking about multinational companies here just one man band fred in a shed small buisnesses. Yes there are some companies that are bigger but none have multiple workshops all over the world drawing in millions. Be realistic. You could carpet a whole house at that price, and were talking about a 10 square meter box. (Yes i know theres more involved than just that)

Im very small scale but when ever i quote a job i dont pile on the overheads to the customer. Just parts and labour. Besides, tax is only collected once a year its not PAYE. So you have all year to manage your finances. Its your buisness and your responsability to keep it afloat not customers.

If you did a fair priced high quality job then customers would be queing around the block.

Sound like you condone these mental costs.

This job is a no brainer and takes a gcse level of intelligance to be able to carry it out. Some people cant hold tools, but that doesnt mean you sting them for incompetance.

I could go on and on and on.

Its not a good deal. Even half that is too much.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Some of these comments are the epitome of stupidity. The OP was quoted for a professional job and then some wannabe experts come on and start rubbishing it with no knowledge of the quality of the work quoted for. Do us all a favour and go and troll somewhere else.
Your comments aren't helpful and only serve to confuse members who are looking for good advice and quality work..
JEASLOUSY is a very ugly emotion!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.