VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Wanting to buy our first VW camper (have hired before, now taking the plunge)

seen a great one today - low mileage for age (76,000 miles, 2003) - van was this guys dad's for his business, nice and sound, very low local usage hence he decided to do a conversion so only one owner ever and full service history (its the 2500cc and has had all new cam belt/water filter and much more done etc).

He's done a tidy job - all high spec and nice finish - has fridge, hob, oven, sink etc and rock and roll bed - all new and unused.

We like the van and the spec but think his desired price is on the high side - he would like £14,000

He admits the internal finish is high end for a van of this age...

what do you reckon??

Jo

·
Registered
406 Posts
...has the logbook been changed over from a panel van to a motorcaravan....if not, find out about insurance first - some companies are not very keen on home conversions and might insist on an engineers report (not an AA inspection) to see if it's worth the stated value.
Whatever you think it's worth (and IMHO you're very near a T5 for that money) just bear in mind that, however much you want it now, inevitably at some point in the future it will have a resale value...I always try and make sure there's little (if any) difference between the two figures.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds on the high side, depends on what components were installed etc, like does it have pull tested bed etc. Does it have a pop roof? If it is a professional conversion then still high but if it's what you want it's the right one for you :)

I know if I put mine up for sale people would say its over priced, 2.4 non turbo, 157k on it, full history, diesel heater, leather throughout etc, I know if I were to sell I'd want best part of 10-11K, but it has a conversion on it that would cost best part of £9000 all in, so I wouldn't have said it would have been expensive. But I know others would. (Just as a comparison)

I would imagine it would have a pop top for that? If you can post pics it may help people judge if the price is about right :)

There are many vans badly built and around 10-11k so it may be more now but less in the long run

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
same questions from me regarding components i.e. compressor fridge, crash/pull tested bed and pop top. 2.5 102bhp silver I rather than the 88bhp blue I

if it does not have pop top or top quality components i.e. night heater etc I think 14k is too high. I would want all of the above and more for that money.

more details please

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all very helpful so far guys...

log book not yet changed over

yes to crash tested rock and roll bed, no to pop top

888 special 2.5 tdi

88bhp standard

he reckons it cost him near £11k to convert but does accept he won't get it all back.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
its your money, yes I can see the rareness of low miles and if it has top spec camper bits but my view is that for 14k most would be looking at a T5. you could buy a fairly low miles 06 plate and still have change for a pop top.

My view on this van would be 9k tops

10k if you really really want it but think you would have trouble getting that back in 6 months if you needed to sell it.

My van (see signature below) is worth about 6k and even with a text description cant see this van being 8k better....

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Vw t4's and 5's are insane prices at the moment, I'd want Reimo fittings for that kind of cash and really it needs to be classified as a motor home on the V5 for that kind of cash...

These vans are becoming stupidly expensive....

BTW you could by a LHD Westfalia for that kind of cash, although slightly older...

Homespun conversions don't command higher prices...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Over priced.
You can get a slightly earlier t4 california for that money.
No pop top is a big negative at that price bracket.
Remember, these vans are renowned for their reliability and high mileage capabilities so dont get drawn in to much by a lowish mileage.

·
Registered
465 Posts
not looked but would guess you could buy an auto sleeper for that money and to my mind they are excellent and if the worst should happen you have plenty of comparisons for insurance

·
Registered
66 Posts
Vw t4's and 5's are insane prices at the moment.
Agreed. I've just managed to buy a low miles good spec converted T5 for sensible money. Many out there who are selling are in some kind of dream world with the prices they are asking. There's no way at all I'd even enter into a discussion with someone asking £14k on a T4. You see some vans for sale for months on end, usually a good indicator that it's several grand too much.

·
Registered
445 Posts
IMO I would say it's worth what you want to spend.

To buy a low mileage van in excellent condition with on wonder would cost in excess of 4 - 5k. A high quality conversion is 6k plus. So 10k would be reasonable. But if you have the money and it's exactly what you want...

How long will you keep it?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its high but only by a little bit, I'd walk away though until I see the V5 that says Motorhome/campervan.
Best of luck
SB

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'd want to see a pop top and professional conversion for that price. But.....as others have said it's worth what you want to pay for it. Low mileage late T4s are very thin on the ground so it's not like you can go and find a similarly specced van straight away.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds high to me, have you actually looked
Around at other T4s/T5s campers for the same price
To see what kind of spec you get for the money.
Tbh £10000 will get you a great camper conversion
So for the extra 4grand or so see what the difference is..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds high to me, have you actually looked
Around at other T4s/T5s campers for the same price
To see what kind of spec you get for the money.
Tbh £10000 will get you a great camper conversion
So for the extra 4grand or so see what the difference is..

I reckon a pop tops a must for that kinda price, and Dvla camper registered

1 - 20 of 23 Posts