VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm looking at getting an eberspacher fitted to the van. I have been quoted about £1100, does this sound about right. I've only tried one dealer so far in devon (a boat yard) does anybody know of any other dealers down here in the back of beyond.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That sounds about the right sort of price for a D2, provided the install is of good quality, you won't regret it, having a good heater makes all the difference to a van. I have one in my T4, one in my work Caddy and one in my boat!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Thats a good price - but make sure thats the motorhome kit rather than an adapted boat kit. The motorhome kit has the large floor-mounting flange, that significantly reduces the chance of fumes etc, and makes for a more rigid mounting given the vibration of a van on our lovely roads.

The other thing is that when bought with a new kit, its MUCH cheaper to upgrade to a 7-day timer as a replacement for the standard one, than it is to do it later - and its very well worth it - winter months, mine puts the ever one about 20 mins before I leave for work, so I walk down the driveway and its all defrosted and warm... :)

I had been looking at secondhand, but given what they go for +cost of a service + any extra bits etc etc it can easily be most of the cost of a new one.. and at least with a new one you get a 2 year guarantee!

You won't regret it..

(I used the Eber dealer in New Milton, Kreuger)

Hope that helps!

Ben

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
F*ck that!!

They're not THAT good. Just run the engine with the heaters on full before you go to bed. Same effect.

Or £400 off eBay and fit it yourself.

The price of camper stuff does my nut in. It's cheaper to stay in hotels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
PF Jones, £690 with 2yr warranty and fit it yourself.
I put mine under drivers seat, all the info is on here. Only additional thing I bought that wasn't in the kit was a longer exhaust pipe, lagging and heatshield (only because of how close it runs to plastic fuel tank)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Time of the month?

Rasp:
No, I'm like this all of the time unfortunately.

Seriously though, £1100 for a heater? Come on!!

(I have one by the way, it was £450, and I don't think it was worth paying anywhere near that).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I ummed and aahed for about 6 months over this to be fair..

Didn't find a secondhand one that was good enough, and all of them needed bits added ranging from cheap stuff like tubing through to silencers and the expensive bits like the timer..

In the end, I just went for it, thinking what am I doing paying this much for a heater, but I have to be honest I've never regretted it for a moment, and to me it has proved totally worth it, its made the van usable all year round, its my escape pod and through the whole winter I was regularly parked over the forest or down by the seafront for lengthy evenings with the heater on low and a coffee and a book.. I absolutely love it, it uses hardly any fuel, I didn't want gas so the the propex was ruled out, its quiet with the silencers so isn't going to annoy anyone else nearby, I would rate it as probably the best thing Ive done to the van. So much so, that if I started again, an Eber would be the very first thing I would do, even if it was the only thing I could afford to do, cos tbh if you're warm you can be comfortable in a sleeping regardless of how cold it is outside..

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Anyone wanna buy mine then? It's good for defrosting on a morning but it utter garbage at night. It's far too noisy and most of the time it doesn't kick back in again regardless of how cold it gets.

If it does kick in it just wakes me up.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Anyone wanna buy mine then? It's good for defrosting on a morning but it utter garbage at night. It's far too noisy and most of the time it doesn't kick back in again regardless of how cold it gets.

Mine did that. Bet it's just a dodgy connection in the loom.:*

Surprised you find it too noisy though, I run mine with a decent homespun exhaust and inlet pipe , but no silencers, it's fine. I'm the one in our house who can't sleep with noise going on too.

As has been said above, an Eberspacher would be the very first thing I'd put in my van if I was doing it all again. I've slept in my van hundreds of times without one, at all times of year in all weathers. But getting up in a morning, in winter and just being able to sit in the van, in shorts, without reaching for layers and a beanie, real quick is great !

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Wow angry person . Did you fit it correct and even red the instructions ?. Everyone seems to love them but hey each to there ownT:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi
I payed £150 for mine but had to buy thermostat,standpipe,fixing plate. Fitted mine under drivers seat, And on them really cold morning it takes a bit longer than 20 mins to defrost. No 7day timer on mine i just start mine when i come back from walking the dog.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Time of the month?

Rasp:
Expensive? You want to have a look at the versions they sell to boat owners (£2.5K and climbing). My brother (R.I.P. mate) used to work on yachts and called them "A hole in the water you throw your money into" In comparison, the van is a cheap hobby and as a bonus, you don't have to wear silly shoes or tie a jumper round your neck to drive a van ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i got an eber d3l, 3.2kw off ebay and won it for £80, its an old one but i spent about £40 on pipes and bits and bobs, the model i have has a half heat setting too so iv managed to wire in a small toggle switch to operate the half heat setting, it drops it down by half to 1600kw, which is just less than the d2's (2kw) and the same as a 1600kw propex. and uses less fuel and 12v power in this mode.:)

iv mounted it under the drivers seat which some people say cant be done without removeing the fuel tank, but as impatient as i am i decided to just fit it without removing as id filled the tank a week or 2 before.:(

i now use it with a 2 channel remote control from maplins, iv wired the remote as-
button 1- 60min timer (can choose any mins up to 60min)
button 2- on/off

so i dont even need to go out to the van on a cold frosty morn!:D

best mod by far:ILU:

came in handy when we stayed on a pub carpark in the lakes at -5 in january:DRasp:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
why would you pay so much extra to fit its really not that hard to do even for a lame diyer
i got mine of ebey £230 and worth every penny but i use my van every day in the winter ok i paid extra for a 7 day timer (bout £70) but i dont even have to defrost the windows anymore, their is a place i know of that sells second hand but fully tested and serviced for about 400-450 ill have to get their details and post them they can also fix the parts that are not easily servicible like ecu and fan blower bushes etc
what about people form your regional meet cant they help you fit it come on cornwall lads give them a hand

1 - 20 of 29 Posts