VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

How should I deal with this rust below the sliding door?

Tags
rust
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TheDumbOx 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2014 VW T5 and below one of the sliding doors I have some sign of bubbling and rust. Presumably started from a chip and then exposure.

How should I deal with this?

Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't really have a lot of choice but to start by stripping the paint and tape back to see what it's like underneath. In all probability it will have crept back quite a long way under the paint - even with galvanising it does seem to spread slowly over time, and you could end up with an area that's quite big. If you don't care too much about appearance then wire brush the rust down to good metal, red oxide or similar primer and spray yourself with rattle cans. If you do care, probably best to leave it to a body shop.

There's a hint of a notch below, so I would check carefully underneath to make sure someone hasn't jacked at the middle of the sill - that has the potential to do a lot of hidden damage - but it's probably just an optical illusion.

#5 ·
That is a useful thread, thank you! As you seem to have pulled it apart, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?
First, what is the deal with where the roller goes? Is it just paint or something else?
also, what is the bobbly paint along the edges? I have this all along mine and I thought it was (the horror :eek:) rust bubbling under the paint. Is it some kind of protective paint?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.