VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
this is how i tuned my 1.9td for around 30% more power:)

before doing this tuning mod i recomend you fit an intercooler for best results, and a boost gauge is aslo needed to set the turbo psi correctly.

start off by removing front grill and moving the rad forward to gain access to the fuel pump, there are plent of how to guides on the forum for this.

heres a pic of the pump

marked with the blue ring is the max fuel screw this will have a tamper proof cap/tab that will need removing, once removed crack off the 13mm lock nut, with the nut loose tuning can begin, turn the screw clockwise 20 degrees then lock the 13mm nut back up and go for a test drive you need to look out for a small amount of black smoke off turbo aslo watch your idle rpm when warm the first 20-40 degrees probly wont show much result so keep repeting this process until the desired effect has been achived, i ended up turning my max fuel screw about 180 degrees but it will be differnt on every engine, a small amount of smoke can now be seen off turbo and the idle rpm has risen about 300rpm.

now on to the turbo,
the idea here is to shorten the actuator arm to increase max psi to around 14-15 psi

first you need to remove the E-clip on the end of the arm [red ring] then crack off the 10mm lock nut [blue ring] then remove the arm off the pin on the turbo body and turn clockwise to shorten, theres no measurement here just keep shortening it and test drive to see what psi your running, mine was aprox five full turns to get it to 14psi.

if you have done all this correctly your van will be much quicker, the turbo will now spool up to full boost at around 700rpm sooner, and you will now be able to accelerate up hill in 5th gear:)

thank you
tom

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: 1.9 TD Tuning Guide

Excellent job Tom, clear and consise. They'll be a lot of 1.9's receiving your treatment methinks!! A:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

brilliant Tom your are the man.............should have mine done by the end of Feb.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

superstar crftom .. well you know what im doing at the weekend then .. A:

really good guide .. ive been checking a few 1.9td turning websites myself but this is the best guide yet ..

good work

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

Tom - good stuff mate!!

Just a question though.......

The turbo tuning is plain enough - 14/15 psi and job's a belter - but the fuel pump??

When is this black smoke supposed to come in?? On full throttle from low revs, I would presume - I don't suppose you mean at idle, but under load??

Also - as an aside and a tip for anyone messing about with said fuel pump - underneath the little arm that the throttle cable is connected to is a rather fragile washer. Mess about with that throttle linkage in too much of a ham fisted way, and you'll get a fuel leak.......just be careful I:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Outstanding work tom....inspirational!A:

Do you have any power figures showing what the gains would actually be?

I'm only asking as I am very familiar with the 1.9 but only in passenger cars and this is a pretty different animal!

Also with the price of fuel going the way it is, my £85 worth of diesel in my 2.5 TDi ain't floating my boat!!:eek:

G60

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Thats cool tom thanks for that , i have wound the boost up a bit and blanked off the egr valve and it has made a bit of diffrence. But i didnt know about the fuel screw , heard a lot of people talking about using the top of a 306 td , but lll have a play about tommorrow. What does every one get to the tank these days , as i put £80 in and drove to Anglesey which is 350 miles away and had to fill it back up to get back IS THIS THE USUALL or is it just my right foot too heavy ?:ILU:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

just fitted a boost gauge to my van . one question ,when the engine is at tickover the needle vibrates loads and only starts to level out at around 2k rpm .. any ideas ..

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts

looks like a good mod on the fuel pump......however did anyone see what happened to the barley pickers big tractor thingys engine on Scrapheap Challenge when the one who says 'proper job' messed with it? As I say I dont want to scaremonger but if in doubt leave alone as he knackered the engine.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

what rpm are you taking the boost reading at? and where did you connect the gauge

i just fitted it tonight , connected the tubing to the nipple on the alloy inlet elbow ( 1.9td ).. started the van and the needle was just a blur .. increased revs to around 2000 rpm and the needle started to become steady ..

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i just fitted it tonight , connected the tubing to the nipple on the alloy inlet elbow ( 1.9td ).. started the van and the needle was just a blur .. increased revs to around 2000 rpm and the needle started to become steady ..

it may be down to the quality of the boost gauge as mine doesnt do it?

tom

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Tom, where did you get your guage from? I'd like to find one with the same red and blue illumination if I can + one that works! Cheers
mines a revotec one cost about 50 pounds

tom

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

I've been admiring all your good work...

The take off for the boost gauge.

I use a Vauxhall efi fuel filter as a plenum / oil trap because I use 5w/40 Synthetic Oil and my Van has done 180K. Such a device may help the flicking needles some of you are experiencing.

Mine's a RaceTech gauge from Raceparts UK Ltd.

And finally...

The StephenTazz stable - an almost original Mk1 Golf GTI "Campaign" but with sorted brakes and suspension and my home-built Team Red Camper based on an 800 Special.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts