VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hi Guys
This is how i did my 5th gear swap tutha day & the tools i used to do the job,,first off you will need a mate to help with foot on the brake pedal while in 5th gear for you to undo the main 2 gear bolts & again while you torque them back up
the old 5th gear ratio is
little gear 34 teeth big gear 44 teeth divide 34 by 44
which gives you a over all ratio = 0.772

the new gear ratio is small gear 32 teeth big gear 47 teeth which gives you a over all ratio of = 0.680
if your end cover is like this then you can do the conversion

this is as is when the cover is off & you need to remove the big spring clip to get the syncro out spring marks in red & the locating blocks marked in green,these hold the syncro together

syncro housing marked in red

undo the two 12 point bolts that hold the selector folk in place bolts marked red

unclip the spring & hold the housing whilst holding the 3 syncro blocks & slide the lot off the gear

the red section shows where i put the 2 leg puller & the green section show the part of the gear to heat up with a blow touch "Its A Must To Ease The Gears Off"
appily tension to the puller then give the gear a good old heating then apply more heat & so on

slightly better picture & you must put the gear bolts back in there threads while using the puller or you will damage the shaft threads

this is what it looks like once removed & note the red section marking the needle roller bearing,,again this will slide off know probs be careful its breakable,,also note iam getting the small gear warmed up ready for pulling,,again same method appies for pulling this gear as with the big gear

this is what i had to do to the puller to get it to fit in between the back of the gear & the gear box housing "Theres Know Other Way I Could Get In" picture shows one leg modded but you will ahve to mod both legs with the angle grinder & a "Slitting Disc"

I put the new samll gear in the oven for about 15 mins to get it hot & then hand fitted it then used the bolt to pull it home "Easy"
Its the syncro gear that needs heating then pulling home "Not" your new big gear,that can be fitted along with the needle roller first

this shows it all together,but i will try to explain the syncro blocks as i call them & the spring clip its riddly but do"able you need to slip them over the spring thats built into the syncro hub then sort of open them whilst fitting the spring clip they will resist thats how they work/hold it all together it sounds harder than it is,,once thats on fit the syncro folk,i got my mate to work the gear lever "Verrrry" slowly sort of going for 5th but not just to aid the selctor folk then once she is in bolt her up & get ya mate to select 5th if the syncro hub goes inwards towards the gear box your cooking on gas,,i got him the go for 5th at least half dozen times till i was happy with how it looked & sounded.
i bought one of these sets knowning i did "Not" want to get stuck,i paid £42 for it but it will come in handy for other jobs on the van

sorry about the pics "Mobile Phone"
note the bit on the left as 6 points & the bit on the right as 12 points

folk think torx are torx there not,this kit as 3 different types & your Vw T4 van gear box uses two of them
the torque settings are as follows
the 2 gear bolts
T60 Bit @ 59 ft-lbs
Folk arm Selector
M8 Bit @ 18 ft-lbs
part numbers
Small Gear 02D 311 361
Big gear 02D 311 158
£195 from Vw & worth every penny
i also drained the gear box & refilled with 75W90 semi synthetic 2.5 Lts,,looks like veg oil tonnes better than the black contaminated stuff that came out.
right i hope ive got everything sorry if ive missed anything,Oh forgot put it in 5th gear foot on brake to undo & same again when tightening ;)
she now sits at
60 mph 2300 rpm
70 mph hair over 3000 rpm
85 mph 3500 rpm iam running 205/55/16 tyres which will improve this but all in all well worth it,she will trundle along with traffic at 30 mph in 5th just T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Re: 5TH Gear Swap With Pics

Good work fella, i cant see the pictures at work but i will look at it an move it to technical articles later on. Again top work, i will be doing mine soon so it will come in handy T: T: T: T: T: T:

Did you use new cogs or reclaimed ones, part numbers for the seals/bearings would be handy.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Good work fella, i cant see the pictures at work but i will look at it an move it to technical articles later on. Again top work, i will be doing mine soon so it will come in handy T: T: T: T: T: T:

Did you use new cogs or reclaimed ones, part numbers for the seals/bearings would be handy.
cheers jimmy,,,,you should be able to see the pics mate,,i got the gears from vw & worth every penny mate trust me you"ll love it with your tdi,,but watch ya speed it soon creeps up even in my van 1.9TD,,it will go from 70 to 80 in know time at all.

No Seal Or Bearings needed mate just the two gears,,if you need any help just ask,,T:

its a fair buzz of adrenaline when you first set off getting upto 30/40 ish & you go for the new 5th for the first time its make or break
she slotted in just right :eek:LOL:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good artical - is this the same way to do the 88hp 2.5tdi?
as far as iam aware the 2.5tdi"s have a gear box totally different from this one but i maybe wrong
if you look at the end of your gear box & it as a embossed vw stamp on a unboltable end cover then yas it should be good to go

·
Registered
617 Posts

quality report, spoke to gearbox co near me and he said " it aint an easy job " but looking at how you have done it all good, well done

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

quality report, spoke to gearbox co near me and he said " it aint an easy job " but looking at how you have done it all good, well done
hi it took my engineer 40mins and that included draining and renewing oil, this is a good and valueable thread, i must say he had more trouble than we did, gears just popped off and on with no heat, 3 legged pulled and to small levers took gears off in my case. verve vw van centre quoted 10hrs labour £600, just incase they said.cost me £50 including £10 tip

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

as far as iam aware the 2.5tdi"s have a gear box totally different from this one but i maybe wrong
if you look at the end of your gear box & it as a embossed vw stamp on a unboltable end cover then yas it should be good to go
its only the 102thats different, this is the same box as on the 88bhp

·
Registered
423 Posts

nice 1, I have been wondering about this for some time.

Do you think it would be a good idea to make this a sticky :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

its not a easy job first time round mate thats the truth iam a qualified mechanic & it took me over 2 hours & a bit more but thats me at home on the ground with a trolley jack no power tools & Nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvver limited info about this & ive only got one gear box & ya dont want to damage it in anyway shape or form,these are press fit items
there seems to be a thing about how long it takes to do a job,,it dont matter so long as its done
trust me if you rush or you misfit summat then test drive & it goes BANG/locks up what ever then what ya gunna do,,reason i used heat is although gears are hard they do break & again trust me i put "What I Think" was enough torque on the puller so why risk it
It took me probs 5 to 10mins of heating/turn a bit & the gears just came out with ease,,i now have perfect intact low ratio 5th gear set that can be used again if needed with no chipped teeth,,,all i can say to anyone take ya time & do it rightT:
half the time is sussing what size is this & that & the fact i took the time to take the pictures to make life easy for others who are thinking about this,,forgot to mention there is a section in the gear box where you can deffo drop summat down into it so be aware when removing the fork top/bottom retainers cause there slippery beggers when covered in cat smelling gear oil ;)
take ya time its not F1 :cool:T:

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

its not a easy job first time round mate thats the truth iam a qualified mechanic & it took me over 2 hours & a bit more but thats me at home on the ground with a trolley jack no power tools & Nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvver limited info about this & ive only got one gear box & ya dont want to damage it in anyway shape or form,these are press fit items
there seems to be a thing about how long it takes to do a job,,it dont matter so long as its done
trust me if you rush or you misfit summat then test drive & it goes BANG/locks up what ever then what ya gunna do,,reason i used heat is although gears are hard they do break & again trust me i put "What I Think" was enough torque on the puller so why risk it
It took me probs 5 to 10mins of heating/turn a bit & the gears just came out with ease,,i now have perfect intact low ratio 5th gear set that can be used again if needed with no chipped teeth,,,all i can say to anyone take ya time & do it rightT:
half the time is sussing what size is this & that & the fact i took the time to take the pictures to make life easy for others who are thinking about this,,forgot to mention there is a section in the gear box where you can deffo drop summat down into it so be aware when removing the fork top/bottom retainers cause there slippery beggers when covered in cat smelling gear oil ;)
take ya time its not F1 :cool:T:
yes you are right in the way you have done it, it would take a couple of hours sorry, i was pointing out that it was a gearbox engineer on a 4 poster that did mine in 40mins, for a so called gearbox speciallist to say it is not an easy job to faram, they are worth stearing clear off. with the tools its as easy a job as a gearbox co will get, im sure you agree.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yes you are right in the way you have done it, it would take a couple of hours sorry, i was pointing out that it was a gearbox engineer on a 4 poster that did mine in 40mins, for a so called gearbox speciallist to say it is not an easy job to faram, they are worth stearing clear off. with the tools its as easy a job as a gearbox co will get, im sure you agree.
yeah know worries buddy its summat that when/if i did one again it would be a lot less brain thinking involved,,those that say its not a easy job that are gear box co"s are
"In My View" wanting big money out of you cause its the first time ive pulled a 5th out & i just wanted it to go right as i didnt want to get part way through & the puller break or summat whilst ive got
1 1/2 5th gears "Not Good" LOL:
yeah if your thinking of it mate get all the tools ya need first & do it to your pace,,main thing is when you do sling it into 5th it goes in with know clunks,crashes,,it is nerve racking though waiting while your going from 1st 2nd 3rd 4th then me & mi mate just looked at each other & i said here we go

plop in she went :db
then we both let out a sy of built up "Good" tention T:

its well worth it mate T:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: 5TH Gear Swap With Pics guide

Hi All,
Glad you got 5th sorted at last,great set of pics etc and I bet your camera smells like a gearbox now.Just got back from a holiday trip up to Perthshire which is the first long run since doing the 5th gear conversion and was a little disapointed with fuel returns.I was getting around 40mpg on local runs and two 45 mile trips and the change was not dramatic going up to Scotland 44mpg and the return trip 41mpg.
Now I`ve had time to think about it I realise the difference between an empty van and a fully laden van has made a considerable variation in fuel returns.Three adults a Jack Russell plus large mobility scooter and suitcases etc.I also had a triple Mazda Bongo seat on rails and much thicker floor fitted by Shiro Utsuri(Kieran) excellent job and very solid and heavy.The return trip was also affected by strong head winds which make a considerable difference when driving a 2 tonne plus BRICK that still averaged about 53 mph so all in all a success story.
Sitting here now looking a an intercooler and relevant pipes and brackets and hoping I can fit it and then fettle it so the van does 50mpg at 80mph and after that find something else to drive me up the wall.

Regards

Bernard:*:confused::(

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: 5TH Gear Swap With Pics guide

So 7/11=12 a great write up!

I have a question on this one!

When you take the end cap of the gear box does much oil come out?

I want to give this a bash in the road at home but I am worried that it will cover the street in lovely gear oil!!!

I have the gears waiting too!

All the best and well done again!

Gareth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to find this great post, thanks! We don't have diesel T4's (aka "Eurovans") here so I built my own after buying a low mileage 2.4 out of Germany and having it shipped in. Of course I now realize I should probably have put in a 1.9TDI or brought in a 2.5 TDI...maybe next time. Anyway, installed the 2.4 and a 5 speed in place of the 2.5 gasoline/automatic transmission that came in my camper. Just about have my WVO conversion done but had to get a taller 5th gear didn't I. Just ordered the parts and with this post it'll be done right after they get here. After I run it across country I'll start collecting parts for a turbo. Thanks all! Great website. I'm all alone with a diesel T4 here in the US....too bad for the rest of them! :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts