VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some people can't see the point in doing this but I couldn't disagree more. All oils degrade over time and it can only do good to replace it. My van is 7 years old with just 59000 on the clock and the gearbox oil was thick black. It's also very easy to do, this is on a 2003 2.5 AJT with 5 speed manual box.

* I used 2.5 litres of G50 SAE 75W 90 synthetic gear oil but check model spec for capacity and grade
* You need a 17mm drain plug key
* Do this job after a long run when the oil is hot and will flow out quickly.

1. Remove belly pan
2. Undo the filler plug
It's mid way up just below the starter motor. Use 17mm drain plug key, might be a little tight to start with.
3. Undo drain plug
It's just below the near side drive shaft, sometimes hidden from view if dirty. Again use 17mm drain plug key to remove, space is tight so I used a spanner instead of a socket. Don't forget to have a pan ready to catch the oil!
4. Refit drain plug and refill oil
It's easy to fill if you use a funnel with a flexible hose attatchment and use a measuring jug to pour in 0.5 litres in at a time.
5. Refit filler plug
Test drive & check for leaks, refit belly pan

Tip - VW suggest making a tool to correctly check the oil level (see photos at end) This isn't difficult to do but to save hassle I just measured out 2.5 litres of oil and as a final check stuck my finger inside the filler hole. You should be able to touch the oil with the tip of you finger.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Re: Changing gearbox oil on a 2.5 TDI (5 speed manual)

Nice write up mate but as a note. Make sure you undo the filler plug first before draining the oil. As some people have found theirs seized and unable to open it. Which as you can imagine causes quite a problem.I:

·
Registered
673 Posts

Anyone know there the oil filler is on a 102 with non VW gearbox? I can find drain plug it's right at the bottom but can't seem to find fill plug???

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

just a note,i used a long nut(such as wheel nut)to undo drainplug with a ring spanner.no room to get any socket/allen key in.easy job and well worth doing.cheers!T:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

Brooklands Owners edition mentions the 02B (2.5L of oil) and the 02G (2.3L of oil) gearboxes.
My 2.5L engine (AJT) is supposed have the 02G one.
They describe a way to check the transmission oil level with a bended wire. Basically, it measures oil level against the lower level of the filler opening. Oil level should be 5mm lower than this filler opening.

In a dutch book (Vraagbaak - P.H. Olving) they make a difference between the two types of gearboxes. 02B as described above and for 02G oil fill till overflow, which is 5mm higher as the other one.

Obviously, only one is right. :*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello I have an 02G type gearbox on an 2003 2.5TDI 102HP. I was about to check the oil but the gearbox looks nothing like the one in the picture. Any idea where the fill plug might be? There is what looks like a fill plug but it is on a side of the box at a very shallow angle so not sure how to check the level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a '92 2.4D AAB. Will these instructions work for me? I suspect the gearbox oil is low. Gear selection difficult when engine is cold, especially on cold mornings. Things improve after 10 mins of driving. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the write up! it took me about an hour and im a mong at doing these things. i bought the oil from the VW Main Dealer and it was cheaper than Halfords! £18 for 3 Ltrs (3 x 1Ltr bottles)

thanks again bud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, ive asked on another thread but not sure if its the answer i was looking for so thought i would ask here.

On the first image where you can see the oil filler cap, just below that and slightly to the left there is a oval shaped VW stamped plate thats bolted on with 2 bolts which faces the floor, does anyone know the name of that plate and is there a gasket available for it as mine looks like its weeping oil, ive been to VW and TPS and neither of them know where to find it as its not listed where they were looking.
Also what does this plate cover, is anything likely to pull out with it if i was to remove, clean up and replace the gasket.

Cheers guys
Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great how to, just did mine got a set of hex drain plug bits from halfords, definitely was not 2.5 litres that came out, maybe 1-1.25
and gearbox was lovely and warm. 2.5l went in, gearbox so much quieter and gear changes are smoother too. well worth doing.
mileage on 151k

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Thanks for this. A wee update for anyone who has the same gearbox as mine (no idea which one, but it's a 1998 2.5 ACV)

The filler & drain are 14mm hex. Mine took nearly 2.5l to 10mm below the filler. One thing not mentioned before is that with this type of gearbox you need a syringe or oil pump to fill the 'box as the filler hole is angled downwards. (see second pic)

Here's the drain plug:

And here's the filler - as you can see it would be very challenging to fill without a filler can.

Hope that helps someone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.