VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Here's a quick rundown of how i changed the fuel filter on my 2001 2.5TDi 88hp T4. It might not be same for your model, but if it helps one other person- its been worth it!! (IF I CAN DO IT- ANYONE CAN- SERIOUSLY!!!)

Fuel filter located in the engine bay behind the passenger side light/ indicator, under the pollen filter/ battery plastic cover.
remove this and you'll see a circular metal filter with hoses attached. the only tool you'll need is a phillips screwdriver, the filter literally sits in a hole in the wing and pokes out thru the front of the passenger side wheel arch.

Remove the plastic cover in the engine bay.
Locate filter & undo the Jubilee clips connecting 2 hoses to filter & pull off hoses (may be tight- keep pulling!!)
Remove R-clip by prising out with screwdriver- be careful- dont lose it, its needed!
Pull up on white plastic connector by grasping both attached hoses- again some effort is needed to prise connector off the filter.

Filter will most likely be :* tight in its hole- go to passenger wheel arch- locate bottom of filter & tap upwards with a hammer, using MINIMUM of force- you really dont want to burst this open! :eek:

Pull out filter in engine bay, clean around slot & replace new filter in hole (fill new filter with fuel to assist self bleeding, but not vital).

Re-connect hoses in same order of removal (WD40 helps here but dont get any in hoses or filter if you can avoid it (not that it will do any harm if you do!)

Start engine & make sure no leaks present before fitting cover= JOB DONE! T:

·
Banned
496 Posts
Re: How to change your fuel filter (photos)

You omited to say that if you do not prime the filter fully, then the vehicle will start, run for a few seconds then cut out, then it will take for ever and a day cranking it over to fill the filter back up again before it coughs into life and fulls the road/workshop with white smoke!
When I do them I connect all pipes but the feed to the pump then use my vacuum pump to pull fuel from the tank and fill the filter up, no messing then, but if you don't have a vacuum pump you can use some clear tube and get sucking!

:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You omited to say that if you do not prime the filter fully, then the vehicle will start, run for a few seconds then cut out, then it will take for ever and a day cranking it over to fill the filter back up again before it coughs into life and fulls the road/workshop with white smoke!
When I do them I connect all pipes but the feed to the pump then use my vacuum pump to pull fuel from the tank and fill the filter up, no messing then, but if you don't have a vacuum pump you can use some clear tube and get sucking!

:)
Didnt happen with me mate- i just stuck some deisel in the filter first, she fired up first time- no priming no cranking. Ah its great being perfect!I:

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hi all, great "how to".
I have a sluggish start cycle, and lots of smoke comes out whenit finally starts. Does anyone reckon changing the filter may sort this out?

·
Registered
255 Posts

Thanks for a handy guide, but I can't see the photos? Do you need somewhere on photobucket to host them?

·
Banned
1,450 Posts

Ok, I am trying to follow this guide but I am stuck at stage 2. From the top of my engine there is no clear path down to the fuel filter.
There is a large object with small diameter metal pipes running into it.

Anyone any ideas? Trying to get this changed this evening but not getting very far.lol

Thanks

Paul

·
Banned
1,450 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to change the fuel filter on my 2.5tdi.
However I am stuck at the 2nd hurdle. I dont have clear access from the top of my engine bay down to where the fuel filter is located.
I have a large metal box with small diameter metal pipes going into it. Great technical description I know.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was trying to get this done this evening.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

Didnt happen with me mate- i just stuck some deisel in the filter first, she fired up first time- no priming no cranking. Ah its great being perfect!I:
same here buddy,,thought am not messing priming pumping sucking;) so out with the spare can of diesel & fill the fuel filter up

fit it

connect the pipe work

& off she fired into life

easy peasy lemon squeezie me thinks T:

·
Registered
578 Posts

Hi Everyone.

Briliant thread on how to change the fuel filter. Thank you for the photo's and advise.

I have being running my 2.4d on veg oil since November. Recently my van was slow starting and then some times it would start then stop, then start again no problem, apart from some black smoke. I have now changed the filter, for a grand price of £5.30, and the van now start first time. A:

The one thing I did do was to fill the filter first with veg oil before I fitted it. The thing that surprised me was that when I filled the filter I gave it a little shake and air bubbles came out, so I put more oil in then give it another shake and so on till I nearly got 1/2 litre in the filter. I should think that if you do not fill the filter the it would take a while with the engine turning over to fill the filter. Filling the filter before fitting was easy enougth with a jug.

Any one thinking of changing the filter your self, go for it. It was realy easy. T:

John.

·
Registered
345 Posts

hi guys brilliant how toT:
but i have two questions i need to ask before i try to do this myself (i have very little experience with engines) but after filling and fitting the filter did anyone have to bleed the system and also whitch hole do i poor the fuel into to fill it?. i know the second question may sound silly but i just want to be perfectly clear before i do it because i dont want to mess it up:D

·
Registered
329 Posts

Great How-To

Just changed my fuel filter as per your notes in 10 mins or less - used the diesel from the old filter to pour into the new one, it started initially then conked out as the fuel ran dry, but after a few turns it fired up and has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I decided to change my fuel filter in Poland last week, the Polish fuel can be a bit rough and I think thats what was causing my rough running. This turned out not to be such a good idea as I broke the return valve, it was very brittle being 15 years old the filter looked like it was that old too. I managed to get another valve after a 2 hour bus and tram journey and am now back in England, after filling up with shell instead of the cheaper Polish fuel the engine is now back to normal.

Also managed to put the return valve in back to front to begin with but it still ran, I looked at the old valve and soon realised the mistake. The guys in the shop had told me to put it in that way as they thought the arrow should point forwards.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts