VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
taken from the VW T4 Library originally posted by 'T4Trick' on the 19th April 2007
http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message10996.html

There a quite a few images and so the page loading will be slow.

T4TRICK'S thread

The Definitive EGR cleaning how to
This is everything that you need to know about the EGR. Why we have it, what it is, and how to gain better performance by cleaning it - yes cleaning it makes you go better!

This is also an absolute must if Project Powering. I needs to be done before the injectors and the remap - or you may not gain the full potential of your outlay. (Speaking from experience)

The following is a guide, and only that. Please read the whole article before undergoing any work. It is your own decision and responsibility to carry out any work and the outcome of such work. Please bear in mind that there may be slight variations in models and years.

Apparently, the black gunk is carcinogenic - so protect yourself. You've been warned! Latex gloves are cheap as chips.

Right here we go:
Intake Manifold and EGR Cleaning

This vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system (pics below). This build up eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow allowed into the engine through the EGR, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse.

Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine will all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up.

So, why do we have it?

The EGR is simply an emissions reducing measure. When the engine heats up excessively, nitrous oxide is produced and this is one of the worst emissions. To reduce this production, the engine temperature needs to be reduced and the EGR allows recirculated exhaust gas back into the inlet side of the engine. This is a continuous process happens more when the engine temp rises and help to reduce the operating temperature.

It does however, to differing degrees, make the engine less efficient and also curbs the maximum performance.

Some EGR applications can have the mapping of the valve changed to reduce the actuation, and others simply choose to block it off. You will see the latter below.

Blocking off is not possible on a petrol engine because of the MOT checks. But this is not the case on diesels and it certainly stops the gunge creation, as long as you are aware that the engine is producing more 'naughty' gasses than it was originally intended to.

OK, here's some idiot guide pics:

Take the inter-cooler (4 nuts) off and associated pipes (spring clips). Also the sensor clips. You may also unbolt the coolant reservoir (two screws) for easier access to the inter-cooler to EGR pipe.

The EGR is the aluminium inlet on top of the engine inlet manifold. The bronze coloured pipe, on top in the pic, is the exhaust inlet into the EGR pipe. Unbolt this (2 bolts) and undo the EGR (4 bolts). There are also vacum hoses to unconnect. Simply pull these off.

The pipes have a slight coating of oil from the CCV which is normal, but look at the EGR internals. They are where the gasses meet. You can see in the second pic, the deposits are far heavier on the outlet side.

Now have a look at the opening to the inlet manifold. Do not try and clean the deposits inside the manifold as you will allow solids to enter the engine. If you want to clean the inlet manifold, then that requires you to fully remove it and go through the cleaning procedure off car. A far bigger job.

To clean the EGR use something that you'll want to throw away. I used an old toothbrush and a stick (you know, the found from a tree type), and a full can of injection and carb cleaner (if you've never used this before, it will surprise you how good it is). Look at what one scrap produced.

And here is the finished article - clean. Looking at the pic, The diaphragm on the left is the EGR which moves by vacum the needle running left to right. This opens the inlet on the right hand wall - letting the exhaust gasses in.

If you want to go down the route of blocking off the EGR port, you need to make a plate to sit between the EGR and the exhaust pipe inlet. Below you can see one made from an old hand saw blade (left), as it is strong and thin. I used two new gaskets on either side of the blanking plate for a good seal.

Now its a case of rebuilding.

Buy new gaskets before you start the job (3). They will cost less than £10. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean, dry and grease free. Be very gentle when cleaning them as the alloy faces are easily marked and this would compromise the sealing ability.

Replacing all of the screws, bolts, nuts and spring clips. Inspect the pipes and be as careful replacing them as you were when taking them off. As they may be weakened in the engine bay heat. Remember to reconnect the sensors. Do not over tighten, as your threading into alloy. You could use a small amount of thread lock also.

The engine may stumble starting for the first time, but should be fine thereafter.

Now, if you blocked off the exhaust recirculatory inlet, enjoy the increased performance. With the miles done after the engine it will self clean the deposits in the inlet manifold and this means that the engine can only get better.

I was 15-20bhp less than others that had Project Powered at the Rolling Road, and this is one of the attributing reasons. That's 10% + of your engine power, not to mention the loss of driving sensation.

I hope this has helped.
T4TRICK

In the original thread other folk posted links to other relevent threads:
http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message-1323.html

More supporting posts regarding EGR and inlet manifold clean.
http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message-10428.html
http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/message-7527.html

Nice thread. T:
It looks a straight forward mod to have a try at.
Will it make much difference then? Would be interested to hear what result people have notice that have done this to their T4's

Brookie - since I posted that thread, many T4ers have added their own info, both on their T4 experiences or from other walks of life, such as commercial garage/fleet mechanics and so on.

Every person had positive additions to the thread. It ran some 10 pages if I remember correctly and most of it was thanks about thier own vehicle. Its a messy job that lasts for the rest of the engine life. Mot's are fine, etc...

All the best, T4trick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: EGR thread

Hi Guys
I am new to all this - just had my EGR cleaned as my acceleration was diabolical - it seems to have made an improvment however reading the above i am now confused as to why you can blank the port off! Can anyone explain why you should clean the thing then blank the port - how does this help? Also can you fit an intercooler to a T4 1.9TD & if so can anyone tell me a good place to get one?
Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
416 Posts

I have a 1.9td and the engine looks different. Is it the section in the same place though with the copper pipe going into it? It soesn't appear to have a square mount onto the head though?
Can anyone offer up some 1.9td wisdom? I have just ordered a blanking plate from Gazzergee so will soon be ready to get stuck in. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: EGR thread - question

Hi

I have read a lot on this forum about the TD engines but not much about the 2.4 non turbo. Is there an EGR on the non turbo 2.4 and if so where??

Many thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts

I have a 1.9td and the engine looks different. Is it the section in the same place though with the copper pipe going into it? It soesn't appear to have a square mount onto the head though?
Can anyone offer up some 1.9td wisdom? I have just ordered a blanking plate from Gazzergee so will soon be ready to get stuck in. :)
Hi - Im another 1.9TD owner, I have the blanking plate, but still unsure as to where to start, could someone make a pic guide for the 1.9TD engines out there????

·
Registered
79 Posts

Don't forget to buy gaskets first. Could make you own from sheet of gasket paper but I got mine from vw dealer as relatively cheap.
Part numbers
069 131 547 get two of these for either side of blanking plate (£1.99)
028 129 748 to replace square shaped one (£1.73)
Prices are per gasket ex vat

·
Registered
55 Posts

Simon "Don't forget to buy gaskets first. Could make you own from sheet of gasket paper but I got mine from vw dealer as relatively cheap.
Part numbers
069 131 547 get two of these for either side of blanking plate (£1.99)
028 129 748 to replace square shaped one (£1.73)
Prices are per gasket ex vat"

Just like to say if the number, 069 131 547 is not recognize by VW computer ADD a "D" at the end! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi guys, I'm set on blanking off the EGR....

I've been told elsewhere that blanking both sides of the EGR is best - one on the inlet manifold end and one manifold end...and that cleaning will then have no effect...

Can you tell me where the second plate should go? I can see from the photos above that one goes from the silver pipe onto the top side of the EGR...

Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge, but better MPG sounds like a winner!

(It's a 2.5 88bhp if that makes a difference!)

:ILU:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

Y cant we just block off the tube that operates the valve opening ? If we disconnect the pipe the valve cant open ? So y blank plates if gases cant get thru ?
Or am i missin somethin?

·
Registered
354 Posts

T4trick-what did you use to make the holes in the plate? I've used an old homebase saw, anglegrinded it to shape, but my cobalt tipped drill bits aren't even touching it?!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good & interesting diagrams, been thinking about having a go at this for a while.

A trip to Vw tomorrow for some new gaskets is in order i think.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Done this today, thanks for the write up.. a word of warning to anyone else new to taking things apart, don't take the egr valve into the house to clean it! The black oily soot looks harmless but when you go to pick them up they make a mess everywhere!! This really doesnt go down well with the other half.. :( I:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Finally got round to Cleaning and Blanking my EGR Valve

I finally found the time and determination to attempt the cleaning and blanking off of my EGR Valve this afternoon.:gl

Thank You Very Much for posting this How To for the job.

The Instructions are so easy to follow.

I was very careful when trying to undo the Allen head Bolts securing EGR and the inlet pipe.

I found my EGR valve to be gunged up to almost the identical amount as the one shown in the photos of this How To.

Used a Full Can of Jizer Degreaser Spray, some sticks and a toothbrush as instructed in the How To.

I even remembered to take the EGR Valve outside of the house before attempting to clean it.;)

Assembled everything back together ( being careful not to over tighten the bolts ) then double checked all the connections and sensors.

With fingers crossed, I started the engine and it seems to be running fine.

Didn't notice any real difference in the short run that I gave the engine but hopefully the EGR will stay clean now that it has been blanked off.

Hopefully I will notice an improvement over time and even more so when I get time to remove the CAT to let the engine breathe more easily.

Maybe even get a Remap done if I decide to pay the extra insurance premiums @ £200.

Has anyone noticed improved fuel economy after an EGR Clean and Blank?.

Thanks Again for this How To.T:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ive had my T4 2.5 TDI almost a year and I have been wanting to do this job since first hearing about the advantages but as a novice owner I was scared of in fear of messing up.
This post has given me the thought that I could probably do this.
They say a picture paints a thousand words and here is the proof of that old proverb, words alone would not have given me the confidence to try this, Many thanks for your time to provide this information.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts