VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

How to determine wheel load rating

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bobley 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking on eBay to buy some 17” alloys for my t5 Cali.
Is there any way of determining the wheels load rating and whether they are genuine van wheels?

I think they have a code on the rim such as 7.5Jx17H2 but I can’t see that this relates to the wheels load rating.

Just trying to avoid buying some car alloys for my van but doesn’t seem an easy way to work it all out!

Thanks very much!

#2 ·
Rule of thumb is that most if them aren’t, so it is better to buy some genuine T5 ones that are easily distinguished as T5. The most common 17” wheels that are currently being taken off new T5s are Devonport. If you are searching ebay, be aware almost everyone calls them Davenport..don’t ask me why. You should be able to pick up a new set of 4 for £500 complete with tyres (which would cost £400-£500 alone). They look like this:

#3 ·
Look on the rear of the wheels. Usually the load rating is embossed into the casting behind one of the spokes.

(Most steel wheels will also have a stamped rating but it can be quite a small font size).

If there is definitely no visible load rating stamped into an aftermarket wheel, walk away.

#4 ·
Thanks very much for the replies.
Seems it’s difficult to work out which are genuine vw van wheels, load rating only seems to be printed on after market wheels.
Which just leaves wheel design to go on. So I can check the Davenports against the image above - thanks.

Do you reckon the below photo show vw van 16” Claytons?
Thanks
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke

#6 ·
Thanks very much for the replies.
Seems it’s difficult to work out which are genuine vw van wheels, load rating only seems to be printed on after market wheels.
Which just leaves wheel design to go on. So I can check the Davenports against the image above - thanks.

Do you reckon the below photo show vw van 16” Claytons?
Thanks
View attachment 181576
Definitely got the correct tyres for a van, check the inside and the VW info should be there. Also, the stud diameter should be 5 x 120 - a similar alloy for Golfs etc has 5 x 112 stud diameter 👍🏻

#7 ·
Ok, nearly there, I’ve found some 16” Clayton with near delivery miles that look good, issue is they don’t come with any wheel bolts.

I’m downsizing from 20” wheels that came with the van when I bought it ( I want to see what the difference in ride is like) - I think they are Riva 20 so the wheel bolts are different?

So, last question - what size are 2015 (64 plate) vw Cali wheel bolts and where to get some?

Thanks again for all the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.