VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i could do some sample testing, but the plan is...

get the head lining out clean up and then cover with the thin foam stuff used under laminate flooring (because i have a big roll of it for free) using contact adhesive

fabric cover over the top of that using possibly contact adhesive pulling the fabric around the edges.

the reason i ask is that i'm worried i'll go to all that trouble and the adhesive will bleed through the fabric and look a little s++t stained. how about double sided carpet tape or similar or would this fail when it gets warm????

any suggestions please

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My experinses with the under floor sfoam sheet and spray glue is u need to not let it go on too thick and "wet" (if that makes sense. other wise the foam reacts. the same goes for fabric. to much glue and it oozes through.

If you spray from a distance the glue goes taky. (make sure you use high temp glue for the summer heat) stick on the foam and fold around the edges. Then repeat with the fabric. i used a roller to try and stop air bubbles. but u have to be quick and committed!

I covered my headlining in the front cab too be stripping the old covering off and sealing the powdery foam left over then just went straight on with fabric..

hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Use high temp aerosol glue, and spray it from enough of a distance so that it goes on like a spider web (you'll understand when you do it) - that way it won't seep through the material.

Apply the foam first (I wouldn't use the undelay stuff myself - scrim foam is dirt cheap anyway - but it's up to you) and then apply the material after.

Take a look at my build diary for some pointers.........:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i mght not use the underlay foam if its going to cause problems any other thoughts on this please (but it was freeeeee)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I covered mine using waterproof wood glue, i didnt use any foam tho, just stuck the fabric straight to the headlining board. Looked good, no dodgy marks also didnt peel off when it gets hot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Winchweight, i think i used 3m spraymount to glue the fabric on the plastic strips. I just folded it round and trimmed it off to clear the channel in the middle. Fits like a dream.
Getting the fabric to fit the curves and shapes in the cab celing was a bit tricky but it looks good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts