VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 1.9TD 1998 transporter.

I blew my ignition switch while dik:cing around with the battery connected and fitting stero equipment. I fitted an illuminating switch to my signal/ignition cableto turn my amps off from the front so i could start the van first, but fused some wires!!! :eek::(

How to swap igition switch:

1. disconnect the negitive from the battery.

2. go buy one of these screw drivers, cost about £2 for a set of 3 different sizes.

3. Go buy a new ignition switch: (the white one is the old one i removed, but the box had the new one in)

4.disconnect the wires from the ignition switch.

5.unscrew the little screw that is holding in the ignition switch (located behind the ignition barral (where you put the key in). you will now see why you need this scre driver:

6. slide old switch out and new one in!!! put it all back together and job done!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Top notes and should be a sticky given its a common issue.

One minor addition to the instructions (which drove me mad for a while) is that if you have speakers in the doors you have to pop of the speaker grille, undo the 4 retaining screws, and then undo the 3 screws which hold the door panel to the door. (All screws are phillips).

Make sure you unplug the speaker connector before youve undone the 3 door panel screws or you end up trying to catch the door panel, the screws and the speaker.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ihave a year 2000 T4 Caravelle long nose.

The battery started going flat. As it was old I put a new one on. Both the battery and alternator are good. However if i leave the van for more than 5 days the battery will be so low it will not turn the starter. No interior lamps are left on, its a mystery.

Additionally my tacho can take a second to move on start up, and my radio always works on accessory, but its supply is intermittant when the engine is running. Thats as if the mechanism to power the radio whilst the engine is running is faulty (whatever that mechanism is)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the dredded ignition switch. the above helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have just finished fitting my new ignition switch that i got of ebay for 7 quid,you will need an offset screwdriver of which i bought at Halfords for a pack of 3 for 2.99,be prepared for a sore neck as the screw as little as it is, was a pain to get out 15minutes in total to remove and 2 minutes to screw back in,overall the van starts first time now and you can feel the key being grabbed once more.

Big Kudos to the bloke who posted the above tutorial it really helped.T:T:

·
Registered
83 Posts
:cheers:cheers
I was charged 42 quid by a local autoelectrical shop just to tell me my ignition switch was goosed, then they tried to get me to have a button fitted to bypass the switch for 50 quid:confused:, when I said i would prefer to replace the switch they then said they did not stock any switches for my T4 and would have to source one from a vw dealer and might be expensive, and they also did the classic " they are a right bugger to fit" spiel, obviously to justify the hefty labor cost they were planning to charge me:no alarm bells in head! got the van home looked on the forum, found this thread. New ignition switch £4.50, offset screwdriver set £2.99, time approx 20 mins,. van started 1st time, job doneT: don't remember having MUG written across my forehead!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just done this a few days ago following the thread.

This should be made STICKY!!!! thanks to willon mitchel T:

this has cured intermittent starting problems and wiggling of key to get started. even spins on starter better. have had battery going flat it seems to of cured that sa well. :)

a garage said it was a bitch to do and suggested fitting button start?

cost me £4.40 of Ebay, 20 mins to do well chuffed. i heated a screw driver and bent the end at 90 degrees witch did the trick of getting at the grub screw.

ignition switch feels more positive as well, so if you've any of the above symptoms. then do the above!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to say a huge thank you to willonmitchell for this thread, had the "stereo worked and then didn't" situation and after reading through this forum, diagnosed the problem, used this thread and now a happy man with music playing again....

Just a minor addition, you'll need a long Philips type screw driver to remove the screws holding the cowling on around the steerirng column to get to the switch - but still a fantastic how to.....

T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow that was a pain in the neck ( no I mean it) but solved intermittent radio and starting problems for very small outlay.
Until I get the Physio bill.
Thanks for the great post.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2002 2.5TDi, I've bought the switch and visiting Halfords for the screwdrivers at lunch. I'll let you know how it goes - but in the mean time, thanks so much for the advice. A:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Job done.
Followed your instructions and had it done in 40mins (which is good for me and my fat sausage fingers). Took the old switch out and it' obviously warn and battered. Put new one in and it starts first time now.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Was just about to start pulling off steering wheel and cutting out ignition lock bolts- I'll give this a go instead as it looks a lot easier!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Thanks so much for the instructions!

After breaking down while picking up our ply lining at the local wood merchants (and having a few weeks of starting problems) we managed to get it started and then get home with the help of a nearby garage and VAG COM.

I had picked up a 109 (no, scratch that, NOT a 109, I ordered the wrong one) and a new ignition switch last week but not got round to fitting it yet. So, a quick look at this and a quick trip to Halfrauds to get the screwdrivers and 30 mins later we had a successfully starting transporter! Wohooo!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for an excellent write up only took 15mins must admit i was a little worried how i was going to get the little screw back in place to tighten it but it sat in the locator hole of the new switch. Feels much better now

·
Registered
273 Posts
perfect write up, i followed this and now a have a T4 that starts 1st time every time! :ILU: once i had the offset screwdrivers it took about 10 mins to do! however the sore neck and back a lot longer H:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cheers for this so is it a new switch I need or a new barrel becouse I have to wiggle the key about to start the engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the old stereo works stereo dosnt thing going on I noticed that if I kept hold of the key my stereo worked, searched this forum and came across this little gem got my new switch and will be fitting it this weekend, Cheers Fella;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts