VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
:cool: well great how to but what a ball ache took me 2hr to get old one out. ebay screwdrivers too big so managed with what was in my tool box had passenger seat out so had enough room to lay down under dash LOL:LOL:, took me 1hr to refit switch but now got camper that starts 1st time with no giggling of key A:
so glad i read this post to help me find fault and repair it T:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Done mine and I have to say what an easy job!

I bought a set of these cranked screwdrivers and have to say I found it totally useless.... Even the small one was too big for the job and as you can only get 1/5 of a turn on it, couldnt ever seat it in the screw.

I use the far more common PH1 screwdriver bit by hand. A PZ1 also worked. Both the long types and the short in a holder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a newbe so please please could anyone help me I gave my T4 1.9TDi 1998, to my Daughter a few years ago as I was buying a T5 and now the ignition switch as gone for the third time so I was told to fit a starter button which I have done, so far so good apart from the fact that this starter button as got a relay incorporated into it I have wired the lot up except for one wire the out from the relay, my friend as tested it and says that I am 99% right but this wire is baffling me and as usual the instructions are in Japanese with no translation so if you could help it would make an elderly man very happy as I did not have a lot of hair to start with now I have got even less as. The problem I have is that it was broken into by some moron who put a big hole in the offside door to get in as my daughter had forgot to put the alarm on and they not only stole the CD Player but also the owners handbook with the wiring diagrams in it I wait for some kind people to help me as it is getting me down I can work out most things but this has got the beating of me
Many Thanks in anticipation, llangyfelachjack.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had same prob with my VW California 2.5 TDI (2001), so bought a new ignition switch for 40? from VW shop.
Spent 20 mins trying to undo the "devil-screw" with a precision screwdriver. It wouldnt budge, so I gave it a hard knock, tried again twisting the screwdriver with my nimble fingers, and finally got it out!
Turns out that Im still having the same starting problem, so going to have another good look at all cable connections. Hope its not the starter motor :(
Great post btw, helped me heaps :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an intermittent radio connection problem which came to light after fitting a new Pure head unit in my 1997 1.8LTD T4. It seems to be the ignition as the original key can be wiggled/ removed/slammed back in until the radio fires up, but the extra key I had cut will not allow the radio to work at all. And its getting worse! The old unit wont fire up either now.

Please help me sort out my confusion! The great guide on here shows how to replace the SWITCH, not the barrel, but if the barrel is worn to the point where the keys do not work properly, surely it is that which would need renewing rather than the switch? Or am I being thick?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have similar hassle with mine , but this has saved me removing the steering wheel and switches to replace lock and barrell . That little screw is meant to be hard to get to lol . if everyone knew of it people would be stealing the cars by dropping the ign barrel .I have to change door locks too came off a nother wreck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi , I am new to this but just seeing if any body's had the same trouble that I am having , so I thought I would change the ignition switch on my t4 1995 1.9td as before turning the key and not every time it would fire .now I have changed the ignition switch thinking my troubles are over , the dash lights up but doesn't even turn over now zero ,I:,am I missing something could it be a faulty switch , be glad to get a bit of information if anybody can help many thanks .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Done mine and I have to say what an easy job!

I bought a set of these cranked screwdrivers and have to say I found it totally useless.... Even the small one was too big for the job and as you can only get 1/5 of a turn on it, couldnt ever seat it in the screw.

I use the far more common PH1 screwdriver bit by hand. A PZ1 also worked. Both the long types and the short in a holder.

I made this for the job heated it up on the cooker and bent it in the vice got it from a cheap set of pound shop screwdrivers it worked great a perfect fit

·
Registered
71 Posts
I made this and it worked great heated it up on the cooker and bent it in the vice got it from a set of screwdrivers from the pound shop T:

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Forgive me if i seem a little dim , but do you still use the original key(s)?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Doh! Just realised that the switch is below the key barrel......:* I is a numpty.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Any difference in quality, Topran or Febi? I know you get what you pay for but the poster looks to have used Topran-£5.99 fleabay where as Febi comes in at nearly £25!
Sorry for being a cheapskate I:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gutted the images have vanished from this post ..

Having this problem myself...

Is there a current thread with images live on the site...???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, this is my first post. I found the thread really useful thanks. I swapped my swich out yesterday in my 1.9 2000, just thought I'd add a little extra... the bit you'll need is a PH1. I managed by using a bit and turning it with some needle nose pliers... patience required though. Also, I found it easier to come at it lying on the floor with my head by the gear stick. Here are some pics of the pesky thing. Starts great now though. Thanks for the guide too, this forum is such an amazing resource that keeps my beloved van rolling. Peace x

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replaced switch on my 2.5 TDI 102 with an ebay cheapy.....don't do it people, I'm off to TPS to get a decent one, mine broke in seconds ... V bummed.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts