VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Excellent thread, I've got a 2000 2.5 TDI Caravelle I took the steering wheel off today and tried to fit a MK 4 Golf multifunction but the hole was way to big, I am happy to hear about the adapter so I will order one, I'm going to try and wire the controls to the radio too. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Excellent thread, I've got a 2000 2.5 TDI Caravelle I took the steering wheel off today and tried to fit a MK 4 Golf multifunction but the hole was way to big, I am happy to hear about the adapter so I will order one, I'm going to try and wire the controls to the radio too. :)
OO post back how you get on wiring the controls, do you have a vw stereo and can, or are you trying to use the wheel with an analogue stereo controls.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm about to fit the same steering wheel to my van - regarding the Passat ring - is this a Passat specific part or will other vag rings work?

I just want to make sure I'm shopping on eBay for the correct part.

Are there any specific years or models I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm about to fit the same steering wheel to my van - regarding the Passat ring - is this a Passat specific part or will other vag rings work?

I just want to make sure I'm shopping on eBay for the correct part.

Are there any specific years or models I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance.
Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Morning

I also would like to install my multi-function Steering Wheel coming from my 2003 TDI Jetta.

I have the spline that adjust the shaft from 17 to 27mm, I would like to know if this is a Direct fit

I read from some other forum that we need to cut that spline adapter, as it is a little too long for VW T4 (Eurovan)

I also would like to have the multi-function working on the cruise control, radio control if possible and as well
keeping my horn.

If someone can help with text procedure or picture procedure if any exist, that will be really appreciate.

I have the 4 spoke multi-control that come from a Jetta 2003 TDI and the adapter spline.

Thank you and forward to hear regarding that project.

Have a Great Day

Revo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Morning

I also would like to install my multi-function Steering Wheel coming from my 2003 TDI Jetta to my VW T4 2001 2.5 TDI

I have the spline that adjust the shaft from 17 to 27mm, I would like to know if this is a Direct fit

I read from some other forum that we need to cut that spline adapter, as it is a little too long for VW T4 (Eurovan)

I also would like to have the multi-function working on the cruise control, radio control if possible and as well
keeping my horn.

If someone can help with text procedure or picture procedure if any exist, that will be really appreciate.

I have the 4 spoke multi-control that come from a Jetta 2003 TDI and the adapter spline.

Thank you and forward to hear regarding that project.

Have a Great Day

Revo

·
Registered
101 Posts
my question is on the newer vw steering wheels they only have one horn wire instead of two like older wheels ,for some reason my horn wont work not sure why ,new wheel wire assembly doesn't make sense any info would be good

·
Registered
329 Posts
my question is on the newer vw steering wheels they only have one horn wire instead of two like older wheels ,for some reason my horn wont work not sure why ,new wheel wire assembly doesn't make sense any info would be good
The second wire just earthed the horn thru the steering column.... It should work when the wheel is fitted...

·
Registered
329 Posts
ok guys ive wanted a nice steering wheel for ages now so have read up all the threads i could find about what fits etc. Anyhow i firstly bought one of the nicer T4 steering wheels with the chrome badge that was a straight fit but i still wanted something different . I then bought a nice MOMO wheel and boss that had been fitted to a golf . But that didnt fit so after a bit of investigation i sussed out i needed the spline adapter from VW part No. 191 419 514. i then came across a lovely 3 spoke leather vw wheel from a passat in a breakers yard and really fancied it .

Here it is fitted , It is a lovely chunky wheel to hold and the leather feels nice . also it cancels the indicators with the little ring i got with it from the passat.

Now for the progress pics

First take off the steering wheel centre / hornpush to get at the big nut that hold the wheel on . now take off the nut and slide the wheel off

Next get the Spline adapter VW part no 191 419 514. to bring splines up from 17mm to 27mm

At first i thought the adapter didnt fit but i was just an extremely tight fit . I just greased up the inside then placed it on and screwed down the big nut to slide it on.

next take the plastic ring from the passat and trim of a few bits that are not needed but make sure to leave the indicator cancel tab .

The plastic ring has a couple of pins that locate it on the back of the wheel , so pop it in place and your ready to fit the wheel. Now you are left with a bit of a gap so i just used a rubber sleeve from an old boss to cover the gap .

you will also need a big washer as the nut is almost same size as the large splin hole and you dont want the wheel coming off in your hands :). Tighten it all up , pop in the centre and job done .

Looks nice through the window i think , nice and modern but still with a factory look .

im now left with 3 spare wheels ill be selling soon lol

Hi. I went from the standard wheel on my '96 T4 to the one top right in your last picture. Problem is it's slightly loose on the splines. It deffo doesn't need to go from 17mm to 27mm, seems more like it could do with 19mm....
Has anyone got any ideas on this? Cheers..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys , want to fit mk4 golf wheel to my t4 but struggling to wire horn & how in god name do I fit the indicators cancel tab .ive got the ring from golf but in stuck from there....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was thinking of changing the wheel on mine. This adaptor does it work in the same way it does on late 80's VWS when they started putting on an adaptor as the steering wheels had bigger hole The earlier VW used the same size splined as a Porsche, If its the case my 99 T4 as the same smaller splined fitting I could replace my wheel with a nice 928 steering wheel

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,766 Posts
Spline adaptors work, but you have to mess around with the horn contacts and self cancelling for the indicators.
Also, need a "packing" piece to fill the gap between wheel and cowling.
There are a few threads about it on here.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts