VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this forum has a "how to" section, if it has i've not seen it. But hopefully this thread will help anyone, who like me wants to try things themselves and save themselves a few quid.

So I wanted the roof prep kit which would give me the ability to move my bars to where I wanted them and also make use of the attachments such as Awinings, surf board carriers etc which are available extensively for the VW van fanboy.

So for this you'll need...
1x T5, mine is the short wheel base flavour, I assume the long wheel base flavour will be very similar.
1x Pair of roof prep rails, available form VW, TPS, eBay etc (Part numbers to follow)
1x Fitting kit (Part numbers to follow)
1x Drill
1x 6mm sharp drill bit.
1x Soft faced mallet
1x Pencil
1x set of torx keys
1x set of allenkeys
1x set of steps

How to...

1/ Using your allen keys remove all the bolts ontop of your van.

2/ Unpack your roof rails taking care not to bend the rails, they are slightly bent from the factory to follow the gently curve of ther T5 roof, and gently place on top of you van.

3/ Now using the bolts you took out, (Not the new ones) fix your roof rail down doesn't have to be too tight but enough to hold the rail straight and true to your van.

4/ Now using a pencil simply mark through the roof rail the holes which you need to drill, then remove the bolts and lay the rail to the side.

5/ Now fit that sharp 6mm drill bit to you drill, and if your cack handed you might want an adult to help you with this bit. BE CAREFULL YOU HAVE NO LOOM WITHIN THE AREA YOUR GOING TO DRILL.
My van has no kitchen of other fancy bits fitted, if you van is a fresh new build you wont have any loom in the way, if your happy then drill those holes.

6/ So you've now drooped your ceiling panels you should have something that looks like this......

You can see its well clear of the loom, and the hole i've drilled locates sweetly within the position VW intended.

7/ Open up your Roof Prep fitting kit, you should have a few of these...

8/ These just clip in, some maybe a little tight so give the a gentle knock with a soft faced mallet.

9/ Now back on top of you van, fix the rail down using the bolts supplied in the fitting kit. Now in the step 3/ above I advised temporarily fixing the rail down to mark the holes using the existing bolts, this is because those nice new bolts for fixing the roof prep down have some pretty ping band around them this as actually a form of locktite/thread sealer. the purpose of using the old bolts is so you dont ware this pink band off, which will happen once the bolt has been wound in and back out a few times.

10/ repeat on the other side of your van.

Assuming you've already got your ceiling down, this job wont take you any longer than 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Hi -I've just acquired a Fiamma F46 awning with the lower fixing brackets for my Transporter SWB T5 with a pop top and without any roof prep. I'm looking at the possibilities of fitting it & have a few questions that you may be able to answer:

Is it possible to get one side of the VW roof prep? Passenger side...

It looks like more holes need to be drilled to fit it. Rather than removing my carpeted ceiling - would it be possible to use a thread setter to insert a threaded insert from the outside?

Thanks got any advice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My van had one of these fitted when I got it. I have removed it and fitted an aluminium Chanel bar so I can attach a drive away awning. My van had pre drilled holes for the fiting so I asume that there was no need to drill as in the above sticky. If you are interested in the roof prep bar for passenger side PM me.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Hi Highasakite......
Things moved on from my above posting. I bought a used set of reef prep rails for £50 and fitted them to both channels inserting riv-nuts for the additional 4 holes I didn't have.

Re-located all of my pop-top gear onto it with s steel fixings. Then found my Fiamma F45 brackets that I got with the used awning had started to crack with the stress / fatigue of them having movement in them (awning must have been bouncing on the roof).

Tried to replace them - but the same ones (as listed on all the Fiamma F45 Ti VW T5 websites that fit in the roof prep rails) are not available anymore and the replacements are different.... They are now the ones in this sticky shown by Toucanspeed that fit to rectangular brackets that sit in the gutters - where the roof prep rails go..

So I have used a new rear one (as the replacement was similar) but had the front crack welded up & both are riv-nutted to the roof in addition to being fixed to the roof prep rail.

So thanks for the offer - what I am now looking for is a new front bracket ( the one that would have came with the awning fitting kit) that attaches to the roof prep rail - to replace my welded one.

Anyone?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Left & right channels 7H1860181AQZU & 7H1860182AQZU
8 Speed nuts 7H0817940A
8 Screws 7L0860137D
2 Screws N90897401
2 Nuts N10516801
8 Bolts N90993801

col.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fitted a Roof Prep to my LWB T5 yesterday, and thought I would pass on my experience.
The part numbers for the LWB rails are 7H3860181AQZU for the passenger side and 7H3860182AQZU for the drivers side.
My van had 5 off large headed torx M6 bolts with rubber washers sealing the existing holes in each gutter, which I removed.
I offered up the rails, spotted through the extra 3 holes each side which need drilling to secure the metal rail to the roof. I also spotted through the hole in the plastic section at the rear end of each rail. To secure the rails to the van I used 8 off M6 x 20 countersunk stainless steel bolts (from Ebay not the VW part) each side, with an additional 3 off Clip-Nuts (part number in previous posts) fitted inside.
I used an M6 riv-nut and one of the original large headed bolts to secure the section at the rear of the rails, although this could be done with adhesive if you didn't wish to drill extra holes in your van.
To sum up, you don't need a fixing kit, just enough countersunk bolts, (16 for a LWB) and enough Clip-Nuts (6 for a LWB). The Clip-Nuts really need to be the VW part but any M6 x 20 countersunk bolts would do.

I hope this helps...

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Steve

I've asked my local Dealer to source the parts as suggested here... The response from Their tech chief...

"From a technical perspective I would not recommend it. There is often additional strengthening added to the roof structure for vehicles where factory roof rails are installed.

Additionally, if there were any body/paint concerns or corrosion or water ingress in the future - warranty on these items would likely be void."

No.s 4 and 7

http://vagpart.com/media/images/vw/676c5d5ab82b3c4158245f0c4161200e.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skuz

Items 4 and 7 in your image are in the roof already because the bolts (5 per side on a lwb) which are fitted through the roof from new are screwed into the clip-nuts which are attached to these items. All that is involves is fitting 3 more nut-clips to the brackets, so I don't understand their thinking! The strength of stainless steel bolts is less that high tensile bolts (which the VW ones might be), but the clip-nut will fail before the bolts.

My van is 7 years old so warranty isn't really an issue.

Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just to update this I've just fitted up the driver's side roof rail to my van, to complement the passenger side that has the awning on it. Parts needed were:

1-off 7H1 860 182A QZU – offside channel (right) £74
8-off Speed nuts 7H0 817 940A £1.88 - SWB van it looks like you only need six of these
8-off Screws 7L0 860 137D £0.71 - these are the countersunk bolts that secure the rails, for a SWB van - you need three more of these for either side, to completely bolt down the rail - 14 in total if you have a van with fixing points only.

I *think* these below may be supposed to go in the rear-most section, but they need a square hole to fit them, so I won't be using them:

2-off Screws N90 897 401 £0.3
2-off Nuts N10 516 801 £0.47

8-off Bolts N90 993 801 superceded to WHT-006-148 – NOT REQUIRED - these are the large-headed bolts that originally go in the fixing holes

How I just need to figure out what bloody Thule bits I need to complete the set up I will be using with a pair of bars. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts