VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Got a new van to modify. Now my other van I bought already done, well the back has got some red lowering springs on it, sits fairly low but I have no idea what springs they are and it's quite deceiving as it has big bumpers on it and side skirts so difficult to see how low it actually sits. With my new on I want to go LOW'ish, maybe around the 100 mm area. Whats going to be required to be done to do achieve said results. :confused:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
well the way I see it you could use t4srus 85mm springs with smaller plates or non, or you could use bmw springs which I think are around a 100mm drop spring depending or calibre springs which on mine ended up 130mm drop and you will defo need shortened shocks :ILU:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the way I see it you could use t4srus 85mm springs with smaller plates or non, or you could use bmw springs which I think are around a 100mm drop spring depending or calibre springs which on mine ended up 130mm drop and you will defo need shortened shocks :ILU:
Cheers, yours looks like the kind of height I'm liking the look of. Do you have anything in the back with it sat that low. What shocks have you got on your's. Do Calibra springs just go straight in or do I need to do any modifying. Calibra springs certainly sound the cheaper option as I'm running on a budget doing a full conversion and tidying up a already converted at the same time.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi mate no mine is empty apart from a bit of wooden shelving that iv yet to take out. im running gaz shortened shocks on mine. calibra springs tend to need about 15mm trimming off the ends so the go over the locator tubes and depending on how much weight you have in the back you might need or will need to trim the bumpstops. iv left mine untouched because of my wheels as when it hits the bumpstops the arch just skims the tyre. but if you were to go that route I would recommend some spring assistors. what size wheels are you running?

·
Registered
555 Posts
i would like to know with lowering, is there a need to get better shocks to make the ride more comfortable ?? i have had mine lowered for a couple of years now. Wound down on the front and T4srus springs on rear but do feel its a bit harsh nowadays even on standerd 15 steels

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would like to know with lowering, is there a need to get better shocks to make the ride more comfortable ?? i have had mine lowered for a couple of years now. Wound down on the front and T4srus springs on rear but do feel its a bit harsh nowadays even on standerd 15 steels

Going off experience from my blue van, it has standard shocks on the rear and some red springs with about 2 coils of bounce on them, the ride aint harsh but aint soft either, it's lowered and will never be soft. Uprated shocks may help but wont make it kitten soft.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Well I've got a set of 18s in the garage and 17s on my blue T4, so the white T4 will be getting one of these sets fitted, most likely be the 17s, (while I keep admiring tho unable to afford banded steelies). The back will incorporate my full width r&r bed and t4 life cooker pod.
I would say if your just having a full width rnr in then you could get away with calibra springs possibly with spring assistors to give a little bit of suspention travel. not ovally comfortable but looks :cool: as T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts