VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cracking set of photos for people who don't get much beyond standard maintenance usually.

Had some problems with sluggish pick-up of revs and have lubed the cable at the pump end, but the problem returned. So I did it at the pedal end as well, and that's made a smashing difference. However, if I'm really going to make a difference (before I change the cable completely, which I will do when I get hold of one), then I reckon the best bet is to remove it at the pedal end, hang it up inside the bonnet and then let lube flow down the cable for an hour or two.

So.....my question, and I need a wee bit of help with this please.....once I've unclipped the cable from the pedal (easy peasy I'm pleased to say), how do I pull it through from the engine side? Is it a case of brute force? It doesn't seem to want to come through at all.

Thanks for helping a beginner-idiot :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have just followed your how to photo guide and replaced/lubed my previously stiff throttle cable T: TYVM i am over the moon and happy with the massive improvement to my 1.9 d A: What a great guide thanks T:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well thanks for the guide it was good, however, in opened up a can of worms with the fuel pump now.

After fitting the cable i put loads of wd 40 on the spring area on pump, turned the engine on , and it started leaking what i though was excess wd40 from the top of the pump near the end of the accelerator cable, but it on leaking and leaking, and im pretty sure its desiel. it stops dripping when i turn off the engine. and i must say i did put a lot of pressure on the end of the cable when fitting it, thinking it clicked on, then i reaslised there was a retaining clip on the old cable, so i may have done the damage then.

anyone got any ideas? there is a small amount of play in the mechanism at the end of the accelerator cable is that normal?

any help very much appreciated, only just bought the van, its a 1.9td.

chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had my 1.9TD since September, seems like a good strong engine but pulling away was always a bit scary, way underpowered! I can't believe how changing the throttle cable makes such a huge improvement. The brass hook that attaches to the accelerator pedal broke very suddenly, prompting a quick search for help on replacement. Much much better control and a bit quicker pulling away too!
This is an excellent how to, but I would like to add a couple of bits of info...
- the end of the cable that attaches to the fuel pump has a retaining clip slid over the cable end, prise this off gently with a pair of long nose pliers. This clip actually holds the plastic housing over the nipple the housing fits on to so needs to go back on as no new one was supplied with the cable
-I found access to the cable/fuel pump fittings better from under the van rather than under the bonnet

Top job, well chuffed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
just read the threads on lubricating the throttle cable, Managed Ok, question, does anybody know what the tube affair (part of the cable assembly) that is in the engine compartment close to the bulkhead where the cable assemble go through into the cab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just lubed up my throttle cable was a bit skeptical as power was non existant never has wd40 ever made such a massiv edifference its like a new van now thanks for the info

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,540 Posts
Just lubed up my throttle cable was a bit skeptical as power was non existant never has wd40 ever made such a massiv edifference its like a new van now thanks for the info
And.....wait a month, and you'll realise WD40 is for cleaning GARDEN TOOLS!!!

Get some 3-in-1 oil and drip that into the cable.

Google WD40.....it was NEVER designed to lubricate, just to Dispel Water (WD....Water Diplacement), the 40th attempt they had at the formula. I:

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Get a cheap attachment for the spray can tube from any motorcycle shop. The will force the lube down the whole length of cable in about 5 seconds.
Use a chain lube for O-ring chains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was a great post. I've just lubricated the cable on my van and I'm in total agreement with the comments about what a difference it makes to the vans performance, they're no exaggeration. Beforehand I honestly thought I'd got an intermittent fault on the pump the performance was that bad. If like me you've taken the cable off before and thought it was alright just spend abit of time cleaning it up to there is literally no drag at all on the cable, I used electrical connector cleaner and finished off with lithium grease, penetrating spray will just clog up in a month or so. Big thanks for the guide. ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Im having trouble sourcing a new throttle cable for my 1997 1.9td RHD.... can anyone point me in the right direction....I've tried TPS, justKampers and vw heritage and have been told that they are now obsolete..

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following website is helpful for searching parts:
http://catcar.info/en/

I fitted normal 10€ cable into ABL engine which had EGR sensor cable and car has never run so great.

There might be some lenght differencies but adjusting part under the pedal and you are good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahhh what a joy - thanks for this instructional! One good grease of that cable and my lumbering old van is jumping around like an excited polo driven by a 15 year old.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts