VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Have decided I am going to spend the winter upgrading the interior of my T4 ready for next year.

I have had a chat with the guy from SPD campers and he sells Plain MDF units for about £200 or laminated ones for £395. He seems like a nice bloke and very approachable. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences of this company. Also I would like to know if anyone has had any success in painting a plain MDF unit and what paint they used and how good was the result. Ideally I would like to use a black or red gloss.

I was also wondering if anyone happens to know the best place to get a cheap sink for the units. I'm not really bothered about having a cooker in the van as I prefer to cook outside.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you're going to paint MDF, you need to seal it first. You can do this by painting it with MDF sealant which is basically PVA wood glue. Give it a couple of coats with a brush, sand it smooth and do it again. Once you've sanded everything smooth (an orbital sander really is worth it's weight) then you can spray paint with the medium and colour of your choice.

You have to pay particular attention to the raw edges because they're VERY porous and act like a sponge. This is also true if you've got any fancy moulding going on round the edges. The way round this is to use a knock-on edging strip.

As far as a sink goes, you can just about see mine here -

It's made from a stainless steel mixing bowl at £1.99 from Wilkinson's. Ten minutes with a pair of tin-snips and a plug kit from my local caravan spares place (£6) and hey presto! instant sink. Add a tap for about £20 and you've done it for under £30.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It great to see there are options except for buying a 200 Smev Sink. I will keep an eye out for a small Sink. Did you buy a tap from a camping shop or from a normal Diy store. Im really not bothered about having a cooker in the van.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah, I got the tap and the plug-hole kit from my local caravan accessories place. The fresh and waste-water tanks are under the unit, the tap just needs a 12V supply from the lesiure via the distribution switch block on the front of the unit at the RH end of the worktop. Which I blagged from a bathroom fitter for a tenner...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you cut the hole in the mixing bowl for the plug. Can you get a drill bit that will cut a hole the right size for the Plug?

·
Registered
431 Posts
How did you cut the hole in the mixing bowl for the plug. Can you get a drill bit that will cut a hole the right size for the Plug?
Ha ha, with difficulty!:D

I tried using a hole-saw but it barely scuffed the surface, so I ended up cutting around the mark that it left with a pair of decent aircraft snips. It was a bit ragged when I'd done but the plug-hole kit covers this up and it has proved to be watertight so far T:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts