VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new slidding roller set off ebay. Took me a while to see how the rollers go in without forcing!!!!

you unscrew the metal thingy from the right of the step. and the you will have a hole to slot the new wheels into then screw the metal thingy back into place!!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Will you was lucky to get the screw bolts out they normally snap or round heads off looks like you need a large amount of Grease chucked in there Matey otherwise them rollers wont last long :ILU:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe i should have added, to unscrew those 2 screw is sawed a space for a flat head and forced them to turn!!!!I: took ages!!!! a lot of blood but i got there!!!

My door is a bit buggereed and now will not slide shut fully!! something is interfiring. I tried to adjust the door mounting brackt at the bottm too but it was impossable. Its in the garage now so thay can deal with hopefully!!!:gl

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can adjust the door closing tightness by losseneing the bracket screw that are really hard to loosen. there are also 2 bolts for the roller set that goes along the ooutside channel. cant get my adjustment right though :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
I replaced my bottom roller at the weekend and managed to do it without taking the door off.

We removed the metal device that holds the door open then slid the door all the way back. Placed a trolley jack under the front corner of the door (with a block of nylon with a slot to stop damage to the door). The jack took the weight off the rollers. We then secured the door to the tow hitch to stop it rolling forward.

We then undid the three bolts from the door and remove the bracket (using a 1/2" drive bar and the posidrive bit from an impact driver).

This made things a bit easier and quicker than having to take the door off to do the job.

HTH.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Hope this helps someone trying the alternative way

I would also say that you only really need the front jack. The drill bit will need to be good and a good drill too

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good grief!
It's too awkward so far to drill from underneeth. It's too easy to break a drill bit from the top.

The drill screw broke trying to under the screws.

Any tips?

edit: Titanium drill bits aren't helping. Not sure what to do

·
Registered
255 Posts
Managed to get it fixed! :)

Took it to a guy I know who's building his own motorcycle. He took an angle grindder to the rivet for me.
But then we couldn't undo the screws to replace the part. We tried a peumatic drill, and impact driver (hit it and it twists), and a vibrating air drill thing. Eventually we had to give up. He suggested taking it to a garage and asking them to weld on some nuts.

Thankfully the garage managed to undo it with thier own impact driver; rubber handled and a bit more confident on the hitting. I had to insist on giving a tenner to say thanks. Kudos to Verwood MOT Centre on Eblake industrial estate near Ringwood.

To finish off I rounded off the new part using 2 hammers, timing them to hit at the same time! Not easy but it did the job enough to hold. It only needs to be as strong as a cir-clip anyways.

The door stayed on the whole time, and I could have done it one handed. It was just getting those screws off.

To finish I kept the screws in, instead of replacing with M8 bolts but this time only finger tight.

Also to note something that could have helped getting it undone was this spray (the name escapes me) which you spray on and it's supposed to creep in and loosen it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Soooooo

This is for the bottom roller.

Does anyone know where to the the middle roller from? The one that runs along the side off the van...

Is there a cheap alternative, or is it a VW job?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought a new slidding roller set off ebay. Took me a while to see how the rollers go in without forcing!!!!

you unscrew the metal thingy from the right of the step. and the you will have a hole to slot the new wheels into then screw the metal thingy back into place!!

hi i just changed this roller on my side door do i have to grease these up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does any know where to get a replacement stopper for the bottom?

I removed mine the other day and it looks pretty crappy. The spring has rusted up and doesn't engage/disengage from the door!

Any help would be great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts