VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Loads of info on the forum and the www for cleaning/removing/replacing an EGR valve on the pre face-lift 1.9l 4 cylinder engines but i can't find a thing on how to do it on the new 2.0l engines.
Found plenty of info about the EGR's failing on the facelift's due to exhaust gas condensation/corrosion of the electrics in the top plastic caps. But i have had a look at mine in there and its like new.
The engine warning light is on amber and the fault code is p0401 - egr insufficient flow.
So im guessing it needs removing and cleaning.

Trouble is i don't know how to get it off. The EGR unit seems huge and looks to have water pipes running to and from it and also looks to have its own radiator/heat exchanger as part of it.
All the ones google comes up with are a simple 2 bolt thing from the front of the engine, quick spray and scrub with carb cleaner and Bobs your Uncle, but its not going to be like that with mine.
Anyone help ??

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I have done this and it was not pleasant.

As you say the EGR valve is bolted into an Oil Cooler unit. This Oil Coller unit is what needs removing. I do not see how it will be possible to get the EGR out without. To do this need the whole lock carrier bringing forward to get access. and then just 4 bolts hold the Oil Cooler unit to the front of the engine. My EGR was completely fused into the Oil Cooler unit and so apparently VW generally sell the whole unit. I just used a Dremel and dismantled the EGR into its component pieces (and then pieces of pieces I:) and bought an new EGR only. I would say it took me 3 hours all in (excluding shopping for tools and bits time), but now I know how to pull the lock carrier forward it would take less.

Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pics left over from when I changed mine a year ago.

The actual EGR valve. Before and after I:I:

The Oil Cooler assembly (viewed from the engine side) The EGR valve is top right behind bracket.

The mess inside where the EGR came from (after cleaning).

Note that I could not clean further inside the Oil cooler and so I can understand why the default of a dealer would be to replace the whole (expensive) assembly.

If you are happy to pull the front Lock Carrier forward, then changing this is just fiddly and time consuming but requires quite a deep breath and steady supply of coffee before starting!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts