VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had problems with the clutch pedal for some time and the master cylinder bracket suddenly snapped off. This is the way I removed and repaired the pedal box. Not difficult, just fiddly. Removing the drivers seat (4 x 15mm nuts) improves access, as will removing the centre console. You will also need to cut away some of the sound proofing.

1. Unplug the wiring loom to the pedal switches
2. Remove accelerator pedal
(3 x 8mm bolts)
3. Disconnect clutch pedal from master cylinder
Unhook spring
Prise open locking clip and slide off pivoting pin.
Tap the pin out to the right
Release the master cylinder from it's retaining bracket (2 x 13mm)
4. Disconnect brake pedal from brake servo push rod
Prise open locking clip and slide off pivoting pin
Tap the pin out left
5. Remove pedal box
2 x 13mm bolts (top retaining bracket located above servo push rod)
4 x 13mm nuts (around servo push rod)
1 x 13mm bolt (hidden directly beneath brake servo on the bulkhead)
6. Repairing pedal box
On my van the master cylinder retention bracket had snapped off it's weld and the support arm had cracked. I welded the bracket back into place and used a length of metal flat bar to cover and strengthen the large hole on the side of the pedal box where cracking is a common problem.

[/B]

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Re: How to remove and repair the pedal box

Thanks for your efforts on this one Simon it is appreciated by everyone. It will hopefully get moved on to the tech articles by the mods.
I'm a rocker myself.I:

·
Registered
568 Posts
'98 TDI (102) 'Velle

Just done mine - real pig of a job in the cold

Lots of thick sound deadening glued over the plate in mine - had to tear it out in chunks to get access

Accelerator pedal assembly was riveted onto mine so I had to disconnect the accelerator pot - 2 x 10mm bolts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Simon , this is a great help and Im glad i found it before i have to do mine ! I like the photos : very clear an explains the job well T:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just pulled mine out on my 94 1.9D. Slightly different as the accelerator pedal was held on by a C clip on the shaft.
Doing the 1.9TDi conversion so need to attach the throttle pot and hook that up to the accelerator pedal. Has anybody got any pictures of this done?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts