VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Quick question. How Do I remove the rear tail gate locking mechanism from the door? I'm talking about the unit that connects to the electrics and door handles (via thin metal rods). I have searched all over the web, no videos or advice for T5 and it's really not obvious. Any and all help appreciated. :* (I have a T5 1.9TDI 2005, just incase it matters)

I have removed the wooden card and undone four visible bolts, I have also removed the mechanism that actually locks the door to the bumper area. I can shine a touch into the space, but no more screws or bolts. I haven't removed the actual door handle because I'm not sure how to. But it appears to be attached to the unit I want to remove.

Oh, the reaon I want to remove it is because it only locks manually, the central locking wont lock the thing. So I hope to remove, fiddle and fix.

If / when I get this done I'll share my secrets. Any help on the way much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further details, OK, I forgot to mention, I also removed the child saftly tube to the left of the lock and also a clip under a metal pannel on the central locking box. I have found some more advice on this forum under "T5 tailgate handle". I am trying to understand what's been said. Still no dice but feel like I'm making some small progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I have the same problem with my T5. Basically the tailgate only opened from the outside therefore I attempted to remove the mechanism to diagnose but now I have removed as much as I can but now I can go no further and things are hanging off!
I was wondering if you ever managed to remove yours and how to do it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sent one of mine to the body shop for a tailgate repair. He did manage to get it out but took him a good hour or more and needed to cause some damage to internal metal work of the door to do it. Sorry that doesn't help much on the "how to", but must be a nightmare job if my body guy struggled :confused:Good luck with it :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
In my t4 I had a metal rod that fitted into a plastic receiver. This needed twisting out to get it out!
Show us a picture mate that would help us

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is wire horsehoe shaped clip that holds the lock barrell in, it is very difficult to see, you need to remove that to enable the barrell to be removed (the handle or central locking motor wont come out with this in place), also the black plastic box containing the central locking etc has sprung plastic lugs holding it into the tailgate on either side . When you put it back you have to make sure the central locking is in the correct position to allow the operating lever on the outer handle to locate in the locking mechanism. The horseshoe clip can be put on before you reassemble and the barrel will still go in. It took me about 2hrs the first time but could do it in approx 15mins now.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Remove the cardboard trim from the inside of the tailgate. This is the most annoying job ever. If you're struggling, get some sort of allen key (I found a star shaped one worked best). Undo them a bit, then pull either with your fingers, or with pliers. If that doesn't work, simply force them, with pliers, flat head screwdriver or whatever you can.

Pull off the interior door handle surround with your fingers.

Then, remove the pull handle thing (with a star shaped socket).

Then slide the trim down and off. Put it aside.

Then you can see all the bits inside. The metal rods connect the interior door handle to the exterior handle and the latch itself. They're clipped in place with three black plastic clip things (described as horseshoe clips by someone above). There are what looks like screw threads on the metal rods. This is to allow you to adjust the latching mechanism. I'm not sure if they really are screw threads, but you definitely don't turn the rods to adjust: you simply clip the rod in a different position. You'll find it helpful to mark the 'screwthreads' with a marker pen before you remove the black plastic clips. Anyway, remove the clips and the bars will hang free.

You can slide out the interior door handle mechanism. There are a couple of little plastic clips that need to be depressed with a flathead screwdriver, and then slide the whole unit towards the bottom of the open tailgate (horizontally, parallel to the van, towards the rear of the van). it will come away.

You should then be able to remove the latch. I didn't get that far as I only wanted to access the number plate lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All - Anyone help explain how to disconnect the rod from the door latch? I have everything else disconnected, unbolted etc but I cannot seem to work out this last bit - it's T5 barn door - just want to get to the door handle to add a camera.
Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is wire horsehoe shaped clip that holds the lock barrell in, it is very difficult to see, you need to remove that to enable the barrell to be removed (the handle or central locking motor wont come out with this in place), also the black plastic box containing the central locking etc has sprung plastic lugs holding it into the tailgate on either side . When you put it back you have to make sure the central locking is in the correct position to allow the operating lever on the outer handle to locate in the locking mechanism. The horseshoe clip can be put on before you reassemble and the barrel will still go in. It took me about 2hrs the first time but could do it in approx 15mins now.
Hope this helps.
you say the central locking has to be in the correct position for the outer handle witch is what??????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts